Ignition of Hydrocarbon–Oxygen Mixtures by Means of a Nanosecond Surface Dielectric Barrier Discharge
Ignition of hydrocarbon–oxygen mixtures by means of a nanosecond surface dielectric barrier discharge (NSDBD) was studied experimentally. The propagation velocity of the flame wave and the ignition delay time in mixtures of oxygen with methane, ethane, ethylene, and dimethyl ether were measured using a high-speed camera. The experiments were carried out at room temperature and gas mixture pressures in the range of 0.75–1.25 atm. It is shown that, for all hydrocarbons under study, the flame velocity decreases with reducing pressure and stoichiometric ratio, as well as when the mixture is diluted with molecular nitrogen. Theoretical analysis of the processes in the NSDBD plasma and measurements of the flame velocity in hydrocarbon-containing mixtures without plasma agree qualitatively with the measurement results, except for the increasing dependence of the flame velocity on the pressure, which is decreasing in experiments without a discharge plasma.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.S. M. Starikovskaia, J. Phys. D 39, R265 (2006).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Starikovskiy and N. Aleksandrov, in Aeronautics and Astronautics, Ed. by M. Mulder (InTech, Rijeka, 2011) p. 55.Google Scholar
- 14.A. Starikovskiy, A. Rakitin, G. Correale, A. Nikipelov, T. Urushihara, and T. Shiraishi, in Proceedings of the 50th Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition, Nashville, TN, 2012, Paper AIAA-2012-0828.Google Scholar
- 22.V. R. Soloviev and V. M. Krivtsov, in Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Aeronautics and Space Sciences, Krakow, 2015.Google Scholar
- 26.A. A. Ionin, I. V. Kochetov, A. P. Napartovich, and N. N. Yuryshev, J. Phys. D 40, R25 (2007).Google Scholar
- 27.M. Hayashi, in Swarm Studies and Inelastic Electron− Molecule Collisions, Ed. by L. C. Pitchford, B. V. McCoy, A. Chutjian, and S. Tajmar (Springer-Verlag, New York, 1987), p. 167.Google Scholar
- 28.http://garfield.web.cern.ch/garfield/help/garfield_ 41.html.Google Scholar
- 30.A. A. Konnov, in Proceedings of the 7th European Combustion Meeting, Budapest, 2015.Google Scholar
- 33.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Fluid Mechanics (Nauka, Moscow, 1986; Pergamon, Oxford, 1987).Google Scholar
- 34.Ya. B. Zel’dovich, G. I. Barenblatt, V. B. Librovich, and G. M. Makhviladze, Mathematical Theory of Combustion and Explosion (Nauka, Moscow, 1980) [in Russian].Google Scholar