Formation of nonquasineutral vortex plasma structures with a zero net current
- 28 Downloads
A nonquasineutral vortex structure with a zero net current is described that arises as a result of electron drift in crossed magnetic and electric fields, the latter being produced by charge separation on a spatial scale of about the magnetic Debye radius rB = |B|/(4πene). In such a structure with a radius of r ∼ rB, the magnetic field is maintained by a drift current on the order of the electron Alfvén current JAe = mec3/(2e) and can become as strong as B ≃ mec2/(er). Estimates show that, in a plasma with a density of ne = 1021−1023 cm−3 and with nonzero electron vorticity driven by high-power laser radiation on a time scale on the order of θpe−1, magnetic fields with a strength of B ∼ 108−109 G are generated on micron and submicron scales. The system with closed current that is considered in the present paper can also serve as a model of hot spots in the channel of a Z-pinch.
PACS numbers52.25.Xz 52.30.-q 52.30.Ex 52.55.-s
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Gordeev and T. V. Losseva, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 70, 669 (1999) [JETP Lett. 70, 684 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Gordeev and T. V. Losseva, Fiz. Plazmy 29, 809 (2003) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 29, 748 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Gordeev and T. V. Losseva, Fiz. Plazmy 31, 30 (2005) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 31, 26 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 4.G. S. Sarkisov, V. Yu. Vushenkov, V. T. Tishonshuk, et al., Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 66, 787 (1997) [JETP Lett. 66, 828 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 8.V. S. Belyaev, V. I. Vinogradov, A. S. Kirilov, et al., Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 126, 819 (2004) [JETP 99, 708 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 12.U. Wagner, M. Tatarakis, A. Gopal, et al., Phys. Rev. E 70, 021401 (2004).Google Scholar
- 13.E. V. Aglitskiĭ, V. V. Vikhrev, A. V. Gulov, et al., Spectroscopy of Multicharged Ions in Hot Plasmas (Nauka, Moscow, 1981) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 14.Higher Transcendental Functions (Bateman Manuscript Project), Ed. by A. Erdelyi (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1953; Nauka, Moscow, 1966), Vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 15.A. V. Gordeev and S. V. Levchenko, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 67, 461 (1998) [JETP Lett. 67, 482 (1998)].Google Scholar