New Low-Background Laboratory in the Pyhäsalmi Mine, Finland
A new low-background laboratory has been constructed in the Pyhäsalmi mine in central Finland and was commissioned in the beginning of 2017. The underground experimental hall is located at a depth of 1436 m corresponding to about 4100 m of water equivalent (m.w.e.). We describe the equipment of the laboratory and the backgrounds arising from the natural rock radioactivity and the flux of cosmic ray muons at the experimental hall location. The high-sensitivity experiments operating at the low-background laboratory are briefly described.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research under grant no. 16-52-53120. We thank V.Ch. Lubsandorzhieva for carefully reading the manuscript and for many valuable comments and discussions.
- 1.E. A. Akhrameev et al. (EMMA Collab.), “Multi-pixel Geiger-mode avalanche photodiode and wavelength-shifting fibre-optics readout of plastic scintillator counters for the EMMA underground experiment”, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 610, 419 (2009).Google Scholar
- 3.T. Enqvist, A. Mattila, V. Fohra, T. Jamsenc, M. Lehtola, J. Narkilahti, J. Joutsenvaara, S. Nurmenniemi, J. Peltoniemi, H. Remes, J. Sarkamo, C. Shen, and I. Usoskin, “Measurements of muon flux in the Pyhäsalmi underground laboratory”, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 554, 286 (2005).Google Scholar
- 5.H. O. Back et al. (Borexino Collab.), “Pulse-shape discrimination with the counting test facility”, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 584, 48 (2008).Google Scholar
- 6.G. Keefer, “Laboratory studies of lead removal from liquid scintillator in preparation for KamLAND’s low background phase”, arXiv:1102.3786 [phys. ins-det].Google Scholar
- 7.C. Buck, O. Besida, C. M. Cattadori, F. X. Hartmann, Th. Lasserre, D. Motta, A. di Vacri, L. Pandola, S. Schonert, U. Schwan, I. R. Barabanov, L. B. Bezrukov, N. A. Danilov, and E. A. Yanovich, “Measuring the 14C isotope concentration in a liquid organic scintillator at a small-volume setup”, Instrum. Exp. Tech. 55, 34 (2012).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.G. Bonvicini, N. Harris, and V. Paolone, “The chemical history of 14C in deep oilfield”, arXiv:hep-ex/0308025v2.Google Scholar
- 10.Ju. M. Gavriljuk, A. M. Gangapshev, A. M. Gezhaev, V. V. Kazalov, V. V. Kuzminov, S. I. Panasenko, S. S. Ratkevich, and S. P. Yakimenko, “Working characteristics of the new low-background laboratory (DULB-4900, Baksan Neutrino Observatory)”, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. A 729, 576 (2013).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Jalas et al. (Calliolab Collaboration), “CallioLab Laboratory”, in Proc. Neutrino-2016 Conference, London, 2016.Google Scholar
- 12.S. M. Fahmi, L. Wacker, H.-A. Synal, and S. Szidat, “Improving a gas ion source for 14C AMS”, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. B 294, 320 (2013).Google Scholar
- 13.http://www.psi.ch/drs/documentation.Google Scholar