Search for electric dipole moments of light ions in storage rings
- 84 Downloads
The Standard Model (SM) of Particle Physics is not capable to account for the apparent matterantimatter asymmetry of our Universe. Physics beyond the SM is required and is searched for by (i) employing highest energies (e.g., at LHC), and (ii) striving for ultimate precision and sensitivity (e.g., in the search for electric dipole moments (EDMs)). Permanent EDMs of particles violate both time reversal (T) and parity (P) invariance, and are via the CPT-theorem also CP-violating. Finding an EDM would be a strong indication for physics beyond the SM, and pushing upper limits further provides crucial tests for any corresponding theoretical model, e.g., SUSY. Direct searches of proton and deuteron EDMs bear the potential to reach sensitivities beyond 10−29 e cm. For an all-electric proton storage ring, this goal is pursued by the US-based srEDM collaboration , while the newly found Julich-based JEDI collaboration  is pursuing an approach using a combined electric-magnetic lattice which shall provide access to the EDMs of protons, deuterons, and 3He ions in the same machine. In addition, JEDI has recently proposed to perform a direct measurement of the proton and/or deuteron EDM at COSY using resonant techniques involving Wien filters.
KeywordsElectric Dipole Moment Storage Ring Wien Filter Radial Electric Field 199Hg
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.JEDI Collaboration (Jülich Electric Dipole Moment Investigations), http://collaborations.fz-juelich.de/ikp/jedi/.
- 2.Storage Ring Electric Dipole Moment Collaboration, http://www.bnl.gov/edm/.
- 3.A. Sakharov, Pisma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 5, 32 (1967); Reprinted in The Early Universe, Eds. by E. W. Kolb and M. S. Turner, pp. 371–373; in Cosmology and Particle Physics, Eds. by D. Lindley, et al., p. 106109; Sov. Phys. Usp. 34, 392–393 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Aaj, et al. (LHCb Collaboration), arXiv:1211.1230.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Polycarpo, arXiv:1212.6341[hep-ex].Google Scholar
- 9.Eds. by B. L. Roberts and W. J. Marciano, “Lepton dipole moments,” Advanced Series on Directions in High Energy Physics, World Scientific, 2010, vol. 20.Google Scholar
- 16.JEDI Collaboration. COSY Proposal #216: Search for Permanent Electric Dipole Moments at COSY, Step 1: Spin Coherence and Systematic Error Studies, http://donald.cc.kfa-juelich.de/wochenplan/documents/PAC40/EDM-C0SY-Proposal-cover-23.04.2012.pdf.
- 24.The Horizontal Spin Coherence Time is Investigated in the COSY Proposals #176.4 to 176.6., http://donald.cc.kfa-juelich.de/wochenplan/List-of-all-COSY-Proposals.shtml.
- 25.F. Rathmann and N. Nikolaev, PoS. 11, 029 (2011).Google Scholar