Superconducting fault current limiter for railway transport
A resistive switching superconducting fault current limiter (SFCL) for DC networks with voltage of 3.5 kV and nominal current of 2 kA is developed. The SFCL consists of two series-connected units: block of superconducting modules and high-speed vacuum breaker with total disconnection time not more than 8 ms. The results of laboratory tests of superconducting SFCL modules in current limiting mode are presented. The recovery time of superconductivity is experimentally determined. The possibility of application of SFCL on traction substations of Russian Railways is considered.
Keywordssuperconducting fault current limiter high temperature superconductor DC breaker recovery time of superconductivity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Kalsi and A. Malozemoff, “HTS Fault Current Limiter Concept” in Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society Meeting, 2004.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Alferov, A. Budovsky, I. Dul’kin, L. Fisher, V. Ivanov, V. Sidorov, R. Shul’ga, E. Tshay, and D. Yevsin, “Study of Superconducting Fault Current Limiter Model with AC Circuit-Breaker” in Proceedings of the IEEE/CSC and ESAS European Superconductivity News Forum ESNF, 2009, No. 11.Google Scholar
- 8.D. F. Alferov, M. R. Akhmetgareyev, A. V. Kalinov, A. I. Budovskiy, I. F. Voloshin, D. V. Yevsin, and L. M. Fisher, Energoekspert, No. 3, 33 (2014).[in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.D. F. Alferov, M. R. Akhmetgareyev, A. I. Budovsky, D. V. Yevsin, and V. P. Ivanov, “Vacuum Circuit Breaker DC for Superconducting Current Limiter” in Proceedings of the 21st Conference on Vacuum Science and Engineering, October, 2014, p. 41.Google Scholar
- 10.L. M. Fisher, I. F. Voloshin, A. V. Kalinov, A. I. Budovsky, D. F. Alferov, V. P. Ivanov, and P. N. Degtyarenko, RF Patent No. 132 929.Google Scholar