Self-Similar Character of Generation of Superradiance Pulses in an Electron–Wave Backward Wave Oscillator
- 13 Downloads
The phenomenon of superradiance of electron bunches provides a promising method for generating high-power ultrashort electromagnetic pulses. In the present paper, it is shown that the equations describing the interaction between an electron beam and an electromagnetic wave in a BWO-type oscillator admit a self-similar solution that describes an amplifying and compressing pulse. It is demonstrated by numerical simulation that the generation of short superradiance pulses is of self-similar character at the initial stage of the transient process. The specific features of the main characteristics of such pulses (the amplitude and width of a pulse and the coordinates of its maximum) are investigated as a function of time and control parameters. It is shown that, after a transient process, the solution reaches the self-similar stage, where the pulse amplitude and the inverse of its squared width grow linearly with time.
The authors are grateful to N.S. Ginzburg and I.V. Zotova for their attention to the work and stimulating discussions.
- 1.N. S. Ginzburg, I. V. Zotova, A. S. Sergeev, et al., Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Radiofiz. 54, 588 (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.N. S. Ginzburg, S. P. Kuznetsov, and T. N. Fedoseeva, Radiophys. Quantum Electron. 21, 728 (1979).Google Scholar
- 9.N. M. Ryskin, N. S. Ginzburg, and I. V. Zotova, in Proceedings of the 14th International Vacuum Electronics Conference IVEC 2013, Paris, France, 2013 (paper no. 6570957).Google Scholar
- 11.D. I. Trubetskov and A. E. Khramov, Lectures on Superhigh Frequency Electronics for Physicists (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.S. P. Kuznetsov, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Prikl. Nelin. Din. 14 (4), 3 (2006).Google Scholar
- 13.G. I. Barenblatt, Similarity, Self-Similarity, and Intermediate Asymptotics: Theory and Applications to Geophysical Hydrodynamics (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 14.A. D. Polyanin, V. F. Zaitsev, and A. I. Zhurov, Methods for the Solution of Nonlinear Equations of Mathematical Physics and Mechanics (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar