Waveguide modes of 1D photonic crystals in a transverse magnetic field
- 43 Downloads
We analyze waveguide modes in 1D photonic crystals containing layers magnetized in the plane. It is shown that the magnetooptical nonreciprocity effect emerges in such structures during the propagation of waveguide modes along the layers and perpendicularly to the magnetization. This effect involves a change in the phase velocity of the mode upon reversal of the direction of magnetization. Comparison of the effects in a nonmagnetic photonic crystal with an additional magnetic layer and in a photonic crystal with magnetic layers shows that the magnitude of this effect is several times larger in the former case in spite of the fact that the electromagnetic field of the modes in the latter case is localized in magnetic regions more strongly. This is associated with asymmetry of the dielectric layers contacting with the magnetic layer in the former case. This effect is important for controlling waveguide structure modes with the help of an external magnetic field.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Freeman, Fiber-Optic Systems for Telecommunications (Wiley, New York, 2002; Tekhnosfera, Moscow, 2006).Google Scholar
- 2.H. G. Unger, Planar Optical Waveguides and Fibres (Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, 1977; Mir, Moscow, 1981).Google Scholar
- 3.O. K. Sklyarov, Fiber-Optic Networks and Communication Systems (SOLON-Press, Moscow, 2001) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.D. V. Iorgachev and O. V. Bondarenko, Fiber-Optical Cables and Communication Lines (Eko-Trendz, Moscow, 2002) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.M. Salib, L. Liao, and R. Jones, Intel Technol. J. 8, 143 (2004).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Tanaka, H. Nakamura, Y. Sugimoto, et al., Phys. Lett. 86, 081108 (2005).Google Scholar
- 11.A. A. Fedyanin, T. Yoshida, K. Nishimura, et al., J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 96, 258 (2003).Google Scholar
- 27.L. E. Kreilkamp, V. I. Belotelov, J. Y. Chin, et al., Phys. Rev. X 3, 041019 (2013).Google Scholar
- 30.A. Yariv and P. Ye, Optical Waves in Crystals: Propagation and Control of Laser Radiation (Mir, Moscow, 1987, Wiley, New York, 2003).Google Scholar
- 36.A. K. Zvezdin and V. A. Kotov, Magneto-Optics of Thin Films (Nauka, Moscow, 1984) [in Russian].Google Scholar