Influence of radiative processes on the ignition of deuterium–tritium plasma containing inactive impurities
- 39 Downloads
The degree of influence of radiative processes on the ignition of deuterium–tritium (DT) plasma has been theoretically studied as dependent on the content of inactive impurities in plasma. The analytic criterion of plasma ignition in inertial confinement fusion (ICF) targets is modified taking into account the absorption of intrinsic radiation from plasma in the ignition region. The influence of radiative processes on the DT plasma ignition has been analytically and numerically studied for plasma that contains a significant fraction of inactive impurities either as a result of DT fuel mixing with ICF target ablator material or as a result of using light metal DT-hydrides as solid noncryogenic fuel. It has been shown that the effect of the absorption of intrinsic radiation leads to lower impurity-induced increase in the ignition energy as compared to that calculated in the approximation of optically transparent ignition region.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. B. Rosanov, C. P. Verdon, M. Decroisette, et al., in Energy from Inertial Fusion, Ed. by W. J. Hogan (IAEA, Vienna, 1995).Google Scholar
- 15.V. A. Shcherbakov, Sov. J. Plasma Phys. 9, 240 (1983).Google Scholar
- 17.Ya. B. Zel’dovich and Yu. P. Raizer, Physics of Shock Waves and High-Temperature Hydrodynamic Phenomena (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 1963; Academic Press, New York, 1966, 1967).Google Scholar
- 18.S. Yu. Gus’kov, D. V. Il’in, A. A. Levkovsky, et al., Laser Part. Beams 16, 29 (1998).Google Scholar
- 20.E. N. Avrorin, L. P. Feoktistov, and L. I. Shibarshov, Sov._J. Plasma Phys. 6, 527 (1980).Google Scholar
- 21.A. F. Nastoyashchii and L. P. Shevchenko, At. Energ. 32, 451 (1972).Google Scholar
- 22.S. Yu. Gus’kov and V. B. Rosanov, in Nuclear Fusionby Inertial Confinement, Ed. by G. Velarde (CRC, oca Raton, FL, 1993), p.293.Google Scholar