On the electrodynamics of an absorbing uniaxial nonpositive determined (indefinite) medium
It is shown that a surface plasmon, whose decay length infinitely increases as it approaches the threshold frequency, can propagate over the surface of a half-space filled with a uniaxial indefinite absorbing metamaterial. At the threshold frequency itself, a new phenomenon is observed-upon incidence of a TM-polarized wave on the absorbing material, a real Brewster angle exists, and in the case of a plate made of such a metamaterial, “reflectionless” reflection is observed when two plane waves are incident on the plate from two sides. In the latter case, complete destructive interference of reflected and transmitted waves occurs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. M. Agranovich and D. L. Mills, Surface Polaritons: Electromagnetic Waves at Surfaces and Interfaces (North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982; Nauka, Moscow, 1985).Google Scholar
- 2.N. L. Dmitruk, V. G. Litovchenko, and V. L. Strizhevskii, Surface Polaritons in Semiconductors and Dielectrics (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1989) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.L. Novotny and B. Hecht, Principles of Nano-Optics (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2006).Google Scholar
- 4.V. Klimov, Nanoplasmonics (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2009; Pan Stanford, Singapore, 2011).Google Scholar
- 5.Plasmonic: Nanoguides and Circuits, Ed. by S. I. Bozhevolnyi (Pan Stanford, Singapore, 2009).Google Scholar
- 6.S. A. Maier, Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications (Springer, New York, 2007).Google Scholar
- 8.H. Raether, Surface Plasmons on Smooth and Rough Surfaces and Gratings (Springer, Berlin, 1988).Google Scholar
- 10.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 8: Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1982; Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, 1984).Google Scholar
- 14.A. P. Vinogradov, Electrodynamics of Composite Materials (URSS, Moscow, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 15.G. W. Milton, The Theory of Composites (Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2004).Google Scholar
- 17.L. A. Vainshtein, Electromagnetic Waves (Radio i Svyaz’, Moscow, 1988) [in Russian].Google Scholar