Coherent effects in the incoherent channel of resonant radiation scattering from excited atoms
- 34 Downloads
Scattering of a resonance electromagnetic field from excited atoms cannot be described by the semiclassical theory of radiation operating with nonquantized electromagnetic fields. Field quantization effects are manifested in this case on the macroscopic level and lead to evolution of statistical properties of radiation in the course of scattering. It is found that a combined process coupling elastic scattering from an atom and induced emission from the same atom, which cannot be studied by the methods of the standard perturbation theory, plays a significant role in this effect. The process of combined scattering in extended media exhibits coherent properties that cannot be described by the standard refractive index.
KeywordsExcited Medium Excited Atom Coherent Scattering Poynting Vector Resonant Scattering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. S. Biba, N. S. Petrov, and I. Z. Dzhilavdari, Zh. Prikl. Spektrosk. 32, 266 (1980).Google Scholar
- 4.B. B. Boiko and N. S. Petrov, Reflection of Light from Amplifying and Nonlinear Media (Nauka i Tekhnika, Minsk, 1981) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.B. A. Veklenko, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Fiz., No. 9, 71 (1983) [Sov. Phys. J. 26 (9), 836 (1983)].Google Scholar
- 7.B. A. Veklenko, R. B. Gusarov, and Yu. B. Sherkunov, Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 113(2), 521 (1998) [JETP 86 (2), 289 (1998)].Google Scholar
- 8.B. A. Veklenko, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Fiz., No. 6, 132 (1987) [Sov. Phys. J. 30 (6), 555 (1987)].Google Scholar
- 10.B. A. Veklenko and Yu. B. Sherkunov, Izv. Vyssh. Uchebn. Zaved., Fiz., No. 6, 17 (2000) [Russ. Phys. J. 43 (6), 455 (2000)].Google Scholar