Coexistence of superfluid and solid helium in aerogel
The results of recent neutron scattering studies of solid helium in silica aerogel are discussed. Previously I.V. Kalinin et al., Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 87 (1), 743 (2008) [JETP Lett. 87 (1), 645 (2008)], we detected the existence of a superfluid phase in solid helium at a temperature below 0.6 K and a pressure of 51 bar, although, according to the phase diagram, helium should be in the solid state under these conditions. This work is a continuation of the above studies whose main goal was to examine the detected phenomenon and to establish basic parameters of the existence of a superfluid phase. We have determined the temperature of the superfluid transition from solid to superfluid helium, T C = 1.3 K, by analyzing experimental data. The superfluid phase excitation parameters (lifetime, intensity, and energy) have a temperature dependence similar to that of bulk helium. The superfluid phase coexists with the solid phase in the entire measured temperature range from T = 0.05 K to T C and is a nonequilibrium one and disappears at T C.
KeywordsDispersion Curve Kalinin Helium Atom Silica Aerogel Superfluid Helium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. V. Kalinin, E. I. Kats, M. Koza, V. V. Lauter, Kh. Lauter, and A. V. Puchkov, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 87(11), 743 (2008) [JETP Lett. 87 (11), 645 (2008)].Google Scholar
- 3.L. D. Landau, J. Phys. (Moscow) 11, 91 (1947).Google Scholar
- 5.A. F. Andreev and I. M. Lifshitz, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 56(6), 2057 (1969) [Sov. Phys. JETP 29 (6), 1107 (1969)].Google Scholar
- 7.I. V. Kalinin, M. Koza, H. Lauter, V. V. Lauter-Pasyuk, and A. V. Puchkov, Kristallografiya 52(3), 505 (2007) [Crystallogr. Rep. 52 (3), 566 (2007)].Google Scholar
- 10.B. N. Esel’son, L. A. Pogorelov, and V. I. Sobolev, Ukr. Fiz. Zh. 19, 763 (1974).Google Scholar