Interaction of relativistically strong electromagnetic waves with a layer of overdense plasma
- 44 Downloads
Plasma-field structures that arise under the interaction between a relativistically strong electromagnetic wave and a layer of overdense plasma are considered within a quasistationary approximation. It is shown that, together with known solutions, which are nonlinear generalizations of skin-layer solutions, multilayer structures containing cavitation regions with completely removed electrons (ion layers) can be excited when the amplitude of the incident field exceeds a certain threshold value. Under symmetric irradiation, these cavitation regions, which play the role of self-consistent resonators, may amplify the field and accumulate electromagnetic energy.
PACS numbers52.35.Mw 52.38.-r 52.50.Jm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. V. Borovskiĭ and A. L. Galkin, Laser Physics (IzdAt, Moscow, 1996), p. 230 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.A. G. Litvak, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 57, 629 (1970) [Sov. Phys. JETP 30, 344 (1970)].Google Scholar
- 9.A. I. Akhiezer and R. V. Polovin, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 30, 915 (1956) [Sov. Phys. JETP 3, 696 (1956)]; P. Kaw and J. Dawson, Phys. Fluids 13, 472 (1970).Google Scholar
- 12.F. Cattani, A. Kim, D. Anderson, and M. Lisak, Phys. Rev. E 64, 016412 (2001).Google Scholar
- 13.A. Kim, F. Cattani, D. Anderson, and M. Lisak, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 72, 355 (2000) [JETP Lett. 72, 241 (2000)].Google Scholar
- 14.M. Tushentsov, A. Kim, F. Cattani, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 275002 (2001).Google Scholar