Low-frequency transition radiation from a short laser pulse at the plasma boundary
- 60 Downloads
The transition radiation that appears when a short laser pulse crosses the vacuum-plasma boundary and that is attributable to an vortex electric current produced at the plasma boundary by averaged ponderomotive forces has been considered for the first time. The spectral, angular, and spatiotemporal characteristics of the transition radiation in a vacuum are analyzed. It is shown that under typical conditions of present-day laser plasma experiments, the frequency of the transition radiation lies in the terahertz range and its power can reach several megawatts.
PACS numbers52.25.Os 52.38.-r
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. L. Ginzburg and I. M. Frank, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 16, 15 (1946).Google Scholar
- 2.V. L. Ginzburg and V. N. Tsytovich, Transient Radiation and Transient Scattering (Nauka, Moscow, 1984), Chaps. 1–3 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.G. A. Askar’yan, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 42, 1360 (1962) [Sov. Phys. JETP 15, 943 (1962)].Google Scholar
- 4.W. P. Leemans, C. G. R. Geddes, J. Faure, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 91, 074802 (2003).Google Scholar
- 6.J. van Tilborg, C. B. Schroeder, C. V. Filip, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 014801 (2006).Google Scholar
- 7.Z.-M. Sheng, H.-C. Wu, K. Li, and J. Zhang, Phys. Rev. E 69, 025401R (2004).Google Scholar
- 8.L. M. Gorbunov and A. A. Frolov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 110, 1757 (1996) [JETP 83, 967 (1996)].Google Scholar
- 11.I. E. Tamm, in Collection of Scientific Works (Nauka, Moscow, (1975), Vol. 1, p. 83 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.D. Dorranian, M. Starodubtsev, H. Hawakami, et al., Phys. Rev. E 68, 026409 (2003).Google Scholar