On the stability of circumbinary planetary systems
- 92 Downloads
The dynamics of circumbinary planetary systems (the systems in which the planets orbit a central binary) with a small binary mass ratio discovered to date is considered. The domains of chaotic motion have been revealed in the “pericentric distance–eccentricity” plane of initial conditions for the planetary orbits through numerical experiments. Based on an analytical criterion for the chaoticity of planetary orbits in binary star systems, we have constructed theoretical curves that describe the global boundary of the chaotic zone around the central binary for each of the systems. In addition, based on Mardling’s theory describing the separate resonance “teeth” (corresponding to integer resonances between the orbital periods of a planet and the binary), we have constructed the local boundaries of chaos. Both theoretical models are shown to describe adequately the boundaries of chaos on the numerically constructed stability diagrams, suggesting that these theories are efficient in providing analytical criteria for the chaoticity of planetary orbits.
Keywordscelestial mechanics planetary systems binary stars numerical methods
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 15.R. Mardling, in Proceedings of the IAU Symposium No. 246 on Dynamical Evolution of Dense Stellar Systems, Capri, Italy, Sept. 5–9, 2007, Ed. by E. Vesperini, M. Giersz, and A. Sills (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2008b), p. 199.Google Scholar
- 18.E. A. Popova, in Proceedings of the IAU Symposium No. 310 on Complex Planetary Systems, Ed. by Z. Knezevic and A. Lemaitre (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2014), p. 98.Google Scholar
- 20.E. A. Popova and I. I. Shevchenko, in Proceedings of the IAU Symposium No. 282 From Interacting Binaries to Exoplanets: Essential Modeling Tools, Ed. by M. T. Richards and I. Hubeny (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 2012b), p. 450.Google Scholar
- 22.I. I. Shevchenko, in Asteroids, Comets, Meteors, Ed. by B. Warmbein (ESA, Berlin, 2002), p. 367.Google Scholar
- 27.W. Welsh et al., in Proceedings of the IAU Symposium No. 293 on Formation, Detection, and Characterization of Extrasolar Habitable Planets, August 27–31, 2012, Ed. by N. Haghighipour (2013), p. 1.Google Scholar