Solar and geomagnetic activity on a long time scale: Reconstructions and possibilities for predictions
- 48 Downloads
Using two mathematical methods based on the wavelet transform and nonlinear dynamics, we reconstructed the behavior of the aa-index of geomagnetic activity in the past. Two versions of the series are provided: for the last 400 years and on an almost 1000-year time scale. We consider typical values of the aa-index at grandiose extrema of solar activity. The same high level of geomagnetic activity as that observed in the last 50 years is shown to have also taken place in the early 12th and late 14th centuries. We suggest an extended time series of A-indices of the large-scale solar magnetic field. On the 400-year time scale, we confirmed that the large-scale magnetic field develops earlier than the magnetic fields of active regions. Ohl’s prediction method was verified on the same time scale.
PACS numbers96.60.qd 91.25.Le
KeywordsSun solar activity solar—terrestrial relationships
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.V. I. Makarov and A. G. Tlatov, Izv. Gl. Astrofiz. Obs. Ross. Akad. Nauk 217, 105 (2004).Google Scholar
- 8.G. G. Malinetskii and A. B. Potapov, Current Problems of Nonlinear Dynamics (Editorial URSS, Moscow, 2000) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. A. Nagovitsyn, Soln. Dannye “Papers and Reports 1995–1996,” 38 (1997a).Google Scholar
- 12.Yu. A. Nagovitsyn, Pis’ma Astron. Zh. 31, 622 (2005) [Astron. Lett. 31, 557 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 15.A. I. Ohl, Soln. Dannye 12, 84 (1966).Google Scholar
- 18.I. G. Richardson, H. V. Cane, and E. W. Cliver, J. Geophys. Res. 107, SSH 8-1, 2569 (2002).Google Scholar
- 19.L. Svalgaard, E. W. Cliver, and P. LeSager, in Solar Variability As an Input to the Earth’s Environment: ISCS Symposium, Ed. by A. Wilson (ESA Publ. Divis., Noordwijk, 2003), ESA SP-535, p. 15.Google Scholar
- 21.Yu. I. Vitinskii, M. Kopetskii, and G. V. Kuklin, Statistics of Sunspot Activity (Nauka, Moscow, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar