Properties of solar wind turbulence from radio occultation experiments with the NOZOMI spacecraft
Radio-sounding experiments using signals from the Japanese NOZOMI spacecraft to probe the circum solar plasma were performed from December 2000 through January 2001. They can be used to obtain information about the properties of the solar wind plasma in the region where it is accelerated at heliocentric distances of 12.8–36.9Rs (where Rs is the radius of the Sun). Measurements of the intensity and frequency of the received signals were carried out with high time resolution (∼0.05 s for the frequency and ∼0.0064 s for the intensity), making it possible to investigate the anisotropy of inhomogeneities and the spatial spectrum of the turbulence of the circum solar plasma. Analysis of these radio-sounding data has shown that the scintillation index and intensity of the frequency fluctuations decrease approximately according to a power law with increasing distance of the line of sight from the Sun. Measurements of the amplitude fluctuations and estimates of the solar wind velocity derived from spatially separated observations indicate the presence of small-scale inhomogeneities with sizes of the order of 50 km at heliocentric distances less than 25Rs, which are elongated in the radial direction with anisotropy coefficients from 2.3 to 3.0. The inhomogeneities at heliocentric distances exceeding 30Rs become close to isotropic.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N. A. Armand, A. I. Efimov, L. N. Samoznaev, et al., Radiotekh. i Elektron. 48, 1058 (2003). [J. Communic. Technol. Electr. 48, 970 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 8.M. Tokumaru, K. Fujiki, H. Higashiyama, et al., unpublished manuscript (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.A. I. Efimov, I. V. Chashei, L. N. Samoznaev, et al., Astron. Zh. 79, 640 (2002) [Astron. Rep. 46, 579 (2002)].Google Scholar
- 11.A. I. Efimov, N. A. Armand, L. A. Lukanina, et al., Radiotekh. i Elektron. 53, 1257 (2008). [J. Communic. Technol. Electr. 53, 1186 (2008)].Google Scholar
- 13.N. A. Armand, A. I. Efimov, and O. I. Yakovlev, Problems of Contemporary Radio Engineering and Electronics (Nauka, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 14.O. I. Yakovlev, Propagation of Radio Waves in Space (Nauka, Moscow, 1985) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 18.I. V. Chashei, A. I. Efimov, V. K. Rudash, and M. K. Bird, Astron. Zh. 77, 713 (2000) [Astron. Rep. 44, 634 (2000)].Google Scholar