Kinematics of stars in the Pleiades open cluster
- 54 Downloads
A master catalog of stellar proper motions in the field of the Pleiades young open cluster has been created based on data adopted from 12 catalogs. A total of 340 likely cluster members are identified, 80% with linear-velocity components in the plane of the sky estimated to better than 0.7 km/s. The average radial and tangential motions are analyzed. No rotation of the cluster or expansion or compression of the cluster as a whole or of its parts was found. The dispersion of the residual velocities does not depend on the masses of the stars, as is demonstrated by an absence of mass segregation in the spatial distribution of the stars in the cluster. Most of the stellar orbits in the cluster are strongly elongated.
PACS numbers98.20.Di 97.10.Wn
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. V. Loktin, Astron. Zh. 82, 779 (2005) [Astron. Rep. 849, 693 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Loktin, T. P. Gerasimenko, and L. K. Malisheva, Astron. Astrophys. Trans. 20, 607 (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Wang, L. Chen, J. Zhao, et al., Acta Astron. Sin. 20, 364 (1984).Google Scholar
- 11.E. Hertzsprung, Leiden Ann. 19, 1 (1947).Google Scholar
- 12.A. R. Klemola, S. Vasilevskis, C. D. Shane, et al., Publ. Lick Observ. XXII, pt. II (1971).Google Scholar
- 15.A. V. Loktin and N. V. Matkin, Astron. Zh. 74, 59 (1988).Google Scholar