Estimation of hydro-fracture parameters by analysis of tube waves at vertical seismic profiling
- 66 Downloads
The problem on tube wave excitation in a well intersected by a finite-size fluid-filled crack under action of external seismic wave is considered. This situation appears at vertical seismic profiling (VSP) in the presence of hydro-fracture intersecting the borehole. A heterogeneous integral-differential equation for the fluid pressure field in fracture is derived in the long-wave approximation by the fracture opening. Stitching of the solution for pressure in fracture with that for tube waves in a well allows to calculate the amplitude and shape of generated tube waves. Numerical computations that under action of the external seismic field the crack edges excite a strongly dispersive mode of a thin fluid layer which can be used for estimation of linear fracture size on the basis of VSP technique.
Keywordsprimary and secondary tube waves fracture waves effective wave equation 3D simulation verification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.F. Henry, J. T. Fokkema, and C. J. de Pater, in Proceedings of the EAGE 64th Conference and Exhibition (2002), p. 143.Google Scholar
- 6.A. V. Derov and G. A. Maksimov, Akust. Zh. 48, 331 (2002) [Acoust. Phys. 48, 284 (2002)].Google Scholar
- 8.W. L. Medlin and D. P. Schmitt, JPT, 239 (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.R. W. Paige, L. R. Murray, and J. D. M. Roberts, SPE Product. Facil., 7 (1995).Google Scholar
- 14.A. V. Derov and G. A. Maksimov, in Proceedings of the 16th Session of Russian Acoustic Society (GEOS, Moscow, 2005), Vol. 1, pp. 324–327.Google Scholar
- 15.A. V. Derov and G. A. Maksimov, Tekhnol. Seismorazv. 4, 60 (2008).Google Scholar
- 16.P. V. Krauklis, Prikl. Mat. Mekh. 26, 1111 (1962).Google Scholar
- 18.G. A. Maksimov and A. M. Ionov, Akust. Zh. 44, 510 (1998) [Acoust. Phys. 44, 437 (1998)].Google Scholar
- 19.A. V. Derov, G. A. Maksimov, and M. Yu. Lazar’kov, in Proceedings of the 20th Session of Russian Acoustic Society (GEOS, Moscow, 2008), Vol. 1, pp. 265–268.Google Scholar