Simulation of three-dimensional nonlinear fields of ultrasound therapeutic arrays
- 207 Downloads
A novel numerical model was developed to simulate three-dimensional nonlinear fields generated by high intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) arrays. The model is based on the solution to the Westervelt equation; the developed algorithm makes it possible to model nonlinear pressure fields of periodic waves in the presence of shock fronts localized near the focus. The role of nonlinear effects in a focused beam of a two-dimensional array was investigated in a numerical experiment in water. The array consisting of 256 elements and intensity range on the array elements of up to 10 W/cm2 was considered. The results of simulations have shown that for characteristic intensity outputs of modern HIFU arrays, nonlinear effects play an important role and shock fronts develop in the pressure waveforms at the focus.
KeywordsShock Front Acoustical Physic Array Element Pressure Amplitude High Intensity Focus Ultrasound
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.L. R. Gavrilov, Akust. Zh. 49, 604 (2003) [Acoust. Phys. 49, 508 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 10.O. V. Bessonova, V. A. Khokhlova, M. R. Bailey, M. S. Canney, and L. A. Crum, Akust. Zh. 55, 445 (2009) [Acoust. Phys. 55, 463 (2009)].Google Scholar
- 11.V. A. Burov, N. P. Dmitrieva, and O. V. Rudenko, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, Biokhim. Biofiz. Mol. Biol. 383, 401 (2002).Google Scholar
- 14.V. A. Khokhlova, A. E. Ponomarev, M. A. Averk’yu, and L. A. Crum, Akust. Zh. 52, 560 (2006) [Acoust. Phys. 52, 481 (2006)].Google Scholar
- 16.W. Kreider, O. Sapozhnikov, V. Khokhlova, N. Farr, M. Bailey, P. Kaczkowski, A. Partanen, and D. Brazzle, in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Current and Future Applications of MR-guided Focused Ultrasound 2010, 17–20 Oct. 2010, Washington DC, USA, p. 79.Google Scholar
- 20.P. V. Yuldashev, L. M. Krutyanskii, V. A. Khokhlova, A. P. Brysev, and F. V. Bunkin, Akust. Zh. 56, 463 (2010) [Acoust. Phys. 56, 467 (2010)].Google Scholar
- 23.M. V. Aver’yanov, Candidate’s Dissertation in Mathematical Physics (Moscow, 2008).Google Scholar
- 25.E. A. Filonenko and V. A. Khokhlova, Akust. Zh. 47, 541 (2001) [Acoust. Phys. 47, 468 (2001)].Google Scholar
- 26.O. V. Bessonova, V. A. Khokhlova, M. S. Canney, M. R. Bailey, and L. A. Crum, Akust. Zh. 56, 380 (2010) [Acoust. Phys. 56, 354 (2010)].Google Scholar
- 27.O. V. Rudenko and S. I. Soluyan, Theoretical Foundations of Nonlinear Acoustics (Nauka, Moscow, 1975; Consultants Bureau, New York, 1977).Google Scholar