Time reversal in ultrasound focusing transmitters and receivers
- 83 Downloads
The ability of a single-channel time reversal acoustic systems to focus and receive ultrasound radiation is considered. The basic element of these systems is a liquid-filled acoustic reverberator. Two types of the reverberators have been experimentally studied; one of them is a thin-wall cylindrical balloon used in ultrasound catheters for treatment of cardiac fibrillation, and the other consists of plane-parallel foil layers. It is demonstrated that such systems can effectively focus ultrasound using only one radiation channel. Random deformation of balloon walls and foil layers leads to a noticeable improvement of focusing quality and helps to overcome the limitations imposed by a spatial symmetry of a system. The use of a binary radiation mode increases the focal field intensity as compared to the conventional mode. The possibility of spatial localization of external sources with the use of the time reversal focusing system as a receiver is demonstrated.
KeywordsImpulse Response Acoustical Physic Hydrophone Time Reversal Acoustic Pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. Sutin and P. Johnson, in Review of Quantitative Non-destructive Evaluation, Ed. by D. O. Thompson and D. E. Chimenti (AIP, New York. 2005), vol. 24, pp. 385–392.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Sutin, B. Libbey, V. Kurtenoks, D. Fenneman, and A. Sarvazyan, in Detection and Remediation Technologies for Mines and Minelike Targets XI, Ed. by J. T. Broach, R. S. Harmon, and J. H. Holloway, Jr., Proc. SPIE 6217, 398–409 (2006).Google Scholar
- 5.A. Sutin and A. Sarvazyan, in Proc. of World Congress on Ultrasonics, Sept. 7–10, 2003, Paris, pp. 863–866.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Fillinger, A. Sutin, and A. Sarvazyan, in Proc. of the IEEE Ultrasonics Symp. (New York, 2007), pp. 220–223.Google Scholar
- 8.E. D. Sinel’nikov, T. Fild, and O. A. Sapozhnikov, Akust. Zh. 55, 641 (2009) [Acoust. Phys. 55, 647 (2009)].Google Scholar
- 10.A. E. Ponomarev, S. I. Bulatitskii, and O. A. Sapozhnikov, Akust. Zh. 53, 157 (2007) [Acoust. Phys. 53, 127 (2007)].Google Scholar
- 18.Y. Sinelnikov, A. Sutin, Y. Zou, and A. Sarvazyan, in Trans. of 6th Intern. Symp. on Therapeutic Ultrasound, Aug. 30–Sept. 2, 2006 (Intern. Soc. Therapeutic Ultrasound, Oxford, UK, 2006), pp. 82–86.Google Scholar