The dual-frequency method for ultrasonic assessment of skeletal system
- 43 Downloads
The article is a review of the new dual-frequency method in axial bone quantitative ultrasonometry for assessment of changes in cortical bones in osteoporosis. The method is based on the use of two frequencies for the generation of flexural and longitudinal ultrasonic waves, which opens possibilities for differential diagnostics of changes in various components of the state of the skeletal system, such as cortical layer thickness, porosity, and elastic properties of tissue. The axial scanning and composition of two-dimensional acoustic profiles of bones are carried out with the purpose of using topographic variations in the acoustic properties for diagnostics of the state of a bone. Results of laboratory and clinical tests of Bone UltraSonic Scanner (BUSS) developed in Artann Laboratories on the basis of the stated principles are presented. The sensitivity of measured characteristics to progression of osteoporosis and the detectability of early changes in bones related to this disease are shown.
PACS numbers43.60.Vx 43.80.Ev 43.80.Qf 43.80.Vj
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.T. V. Nguyen, J. R. Center, and J. A. Eisman, Med. J. Aust. 180(5, Suppl.), S18 (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.D. Hans, F. Bo, and T. Fuerst, in Quantitative Ultrasound: Assessment of Osteoporosis and Bone Status, Ed. by C. F. NJeh, D. Hans, T. Fuerst, C. C. Gluer, and H. K. Genant (Martin Dunitz, London), pp. 145–162.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Christian, C. R. Krestan, S. Grampp, et al., AJR 183, 639 (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.Kh. A. Yanson, V. V. Dzenis, and A. M. Tatarinov, Ultrasound Investigations of Tube Bones (Zinatne, Riga, 1990) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.A. M. Tatarinov, S. L. Dubonos, Kh. A. Yanson, et al., Kosmich., Biol. Aviokosmich. Med., No. 2, 29 (1990).Google Scholar
- 14.I. A. Viktorov, Rayleigh and Lamb Waves: Physical Theory and Applications (Nauka, Moscow, 1966; Plenum Press, New York, 1967).Google Scholar
- 22.A. Tatarinov and A. Sarvazyan, in Proc. of the World Congress Ultrasonics (Paris, 2003), CDROM, pp. 895–898.Google Scholar
- 24.A. Tatarinov, A. Sarvazyan, V. Egorov, G. Beller, and D. Felsenberg, Ultrasound Med. Biol. (in press).Google Scholar