Causal first-order equations for wave field modeling in a horizontally inhomogeneous ocean
A mathematical model is developed for acoustic fields in a horizontally inhomogeneous oceanic medium with allowance for prominent inhomogeneities. On the basis of the system of equations of linear acoustics and the ideas of the method of transverse sections, causal equations of the first order that exactly describe the horizontal components of acoustic modes are derived. These equations offer a possibility to model the situations with nonsmooth inhomogeneities, when the known approximate methods are inappropriate. The equations are characterized by a number of important advantages, which include relative simplicity, physical clarity, and suitability for numerical simulations with the use of the existing algorithms designed for solving wave problems in layered media.
PACS numbers43.20.+g 43.30.+m
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. M. Brekhovskikh, Waves in Layered Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1973; Academic, New York, 1980).Google Scholar
- 2.L. M. Brekhovskikh and Yu. P. Lysanov, Fundamentals of Ocean Acoustics (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1982; Springer, New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- 3.F. B. Jensen, W. A. Kuperman, M. B. Porter, and H. Schmidt, Computational Ocean Acoustics (AIP, New York, 1994).Google Scholar
- 5.V. M. Kudryashov, Akust. Zh. 33, 55 (1987) [Sov. Phys. Acoust. 33, 32 (1987)].Google Scholar
- 6.L. M. Brekhovskikh and O. A. Godin, Acoustics of Layered Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1989; Springer, Berlin, 1990).Google Scholar
- 8.O. E. Gulin and D. Yang, Chin. J. Acoust. 23 (1) (2004).Google Scholar
- 9.I. O. Yaroshchuk and O. É. Gulin, Method of Statistical Modeling in the Problems of Hydroacoustics (Dal’nauka, Vladivostok, 2002) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.V. I. Klyatskin, Imbedding Method in the Theory of Wave Propagation (Nauka, Moscow, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.K. V. Avilov, Akust. Zh. 41, 5 (1995) [Acoust. Phys. 41, 1 (1995)].Google Scholar
- 13.B. G. Katsnel’son and V. G. Petnikov, Acoustics of a Shallow Sea (Nauka, Moscow, 1997) [in Russian].Google Scholar