Thermoelectric Model of the InGaN/GaN Light Emission Diode with Allowance for the Substrate Heterostructure Effect
- 7 Downloads
Accounting for the production of heat in high-ohmic substrates of heterostructural light-emitting diodes (LEDs) is an important factor, determining their functional properties, limiting operation modes, and reliability. A nonlinear thermoelectric model of the InGaN/GaN LED is presented, taking into account Joule thermal generation in a semiconductor substrate. The potential distribution on structural elements and the dependence on the current of the thermal resistance of a semiconductor structure of the device are obtained. The adequacy of the model is confirmed by comparing the calculated and experimental dependences of the thermal resistance of a high-power LED on the total current. The thermoelectric model of the LED with allowance for Joule heat production allows us to calculate its thermal resistance. The adequacy of the model is confirmed experimentally.
Keywords:Joule heat temperature thermal resistance heterostructure
The work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research and the Government of Ulyanovsk Region, project no. 16-47-732151 r_ofi_m.
- 4.Shan, O., Dai, Q., and Chhajed, S., Analysis of thermal properties of GaInN light-emitting diodes and laser diodes, J. Appl. Phys., 2010, no. 108, pp. 30–38.Google Scholar
- 5.Sergeev, V.A. and Khodakov, A.M., Nelineinye teplovye modeli poluprovodnikovykh priborov (Nonlinear Thermal Models of Semiconductor Devices), Ul’yanovsk: UlGTU, 2012.Google Scholar
- 6.Lee, S., Song, S., Au, V., and Moran, K., Construction/spreading resistance model for electronic packaging, in Proceedings of ASME/JSME Thermal Engineering Conference, 1995, vol. 4p, p. 199.Google Scholar
- 7.http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/Chips-and-Material/Data-Sheets-Chips/CPR3EC.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2016.Google Scholar
- 8.NSM Archive Physical Properties of Semiconductors. www.ioffe.rssi.ru\SVA\NSM\Semicond\index.html. Accessed December 18, 2016.Google Scholar
- 9.http://www.cree.com/~/media/Files/Cree/LED-Components-and-Modules/XLamp/Data-and-Binning/ XLamp7090XRE.pdf. Accessed December 18, 2016.Google Scholar