Marking of Salmon Juveniles and the Efficiency of Fish Farming
- 5 Downloads
This study deals with the distribution of pink salmon spawners, which were tagged during embryogenesis at the Anivsky salmon farm, in the water area of the Sakhalin region. A majority of the tagged salmon were caught in the Bystraya River near the salmon farm. As well, the pink salmon spawners with the fish farm tag in the otoliths were found all over the water area of southern Sakhalin and Iturup Island. Here, the number of farm-reared salmon that were caught in the common migration routes or settled in the different water courses exceeded the number of fish that returned to the basic river of the Anivsky salmon farm by several times.
Keywords:Sakhalin fish hatchery pink salmon dry tagging otoliths
The authors are grateful to the staff of the Sakhalin branch of the FGBU Glavrybvod: the laboratory for reproduction of aquatic bioresources, the fish-farm department, the ichthyology departments and the fish farms that participated in the collection and processing of otoliths. In particular, we would like to thank I.S. Bobrov, N.K. Vasilevskaya, A.A. Vorozhtsova, V.V. Zaitsev, S.V. Kamnev, A.E. Lapshina, S.S. Makeev, V.G. Samarsky, P.A. Sedunov, A.S. Starikov, L.A. Sulova, and A.V. Taibulatov.
COMPLIANCE WITH ETHICAL STANDARDS
Conflict of interests. The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Statement on the welfare of animals. All applicable international, national and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals have been observed.
- 1.Akinicheva, E.G. and Rogatnykh, A.Yu., The salmon marking experiment at fish hatcheries: Thermal marking, J. Ichthyol., 1996, vol. 36, no. 8, pp. 659–664.Google Scholar
- 2.Alekseev, A.P., Dorofeeva, E.A., and Zelennikov, O.V., Problems and prospects of acclimatization of the Far-Eastern pink salmon in the White Sea basin, Rybovod. Rybn. Khoz., 2008, no. 8, pp. 24–28.Google Scholar
- 3.Antonov, A.A. and Kim, Kh.Yu., Dynamics of fry downstream migration as an indicator of peculiarities of the pink salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha approaches in the Aniva Bay, Vopr. Rybolov., 2005, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 69–75.Google Scholar
- 4.Bugaev, A.V., Rastyagaeva, I.A., Romadenkova, N.N., et al., Results of long-term biological monitoring of pacific salmon in the hatcheries of Kamchatsky Krai, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2015, vol. 180, pp. 273–309.Google Scholar
- 5.Burdun, N.I., Illegal salmon fishing, Pishch. Prom–st., 2009, no. 4, p. 78.Google Scholar
- 6.Dorofeeva, E.A., Alexeyev, A.P., Zelennikov, O.V., and Zelenkov, V.M., Far Eastern hunchback salmon in the White Sea basin, Rybn. Khoz., 2006, no. 6, pp. 71–74.Google Scholar
- 7.Zaporozhets, G.V. and Zaporozhets, O.M., Lososevyye rybovodnyye zavody Dal’nego Vostoka v ekosistemakh Severnoy Patsifiki (Salmon Hatcheries of the Far East in the North Pacific Ecosystems), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky: Kamchatpress, 2011.Google Scholar
- 8.Zelennikov, O.V., On the prospects of natural reproduction of pink salmon in the White Sea basin, Vestn. S.-Peterb. Univ., Ser. 3: Biol., 2001, no. 4, pp. 78–81.Google Scholar
- 9.Kaev, A.M., The value of hatchery cultivation of pink and chum salmon for fishing in Sakhalin region, Rybn. Khoz., 2010, no. 5, pp. 57–61.Google Scholar
- 10.Kaev, A.M., Forecast and actual development of the pink salmon fishery in the Sakhalin–Kuril region in 2011, in Byull. N 6 izucheniya tikhookeanskikh lososei na Dal’nem Vostoke (Bull. no. 6 of Studies of the Pacific Salmon in the Far East), Vladivostok: TINRO-Tsentr, 2011, pp. 26–32.Google Scholar
- 12.Kaev, A.M., Antonov, A.A., Zakharov, A.V., et al., The results of quantitative accounting of the rolling young hunchback and chum in the rivers of the Sakhalin region in 2014, in Byull. N 9 izucheniya tikhookeanskikh lososei na Dal’nem Vostoke (Bull. no. 9 of Studies of the Pacific Salmon in the Far East), Vladivostok: TINRO-Tsentr, 2014, pp. 69–78.Google Scholar
- 13.Kaev, A.M. and Zhivotovsky, L.A., New findings to discussion on local versus fluctuating stocks of pink salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha, Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr, 2016, vol. 187, pp. 122–144.Google Scholar
- 14.Koryakovtsev, L.V., Efficiency of operation of pink salmon hatcheries in Sakhalin, Rybn. Khoz., 2001, no. 6, pp. 36–37.Google Scholar
- 15.Leman, V.N., Smirnov, B.P., and Tochilina, T.G., Pasture salmon cultivation in the Far East: Current state and existing problems, Tr. Vseross. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2015, vol. 153, pp. 105–120.Google Scholar
- 16.Likhatovich, D., Losos’ bez rek. Istoriya krizisa tikhookeanskogo lososya (Salmon without Rivers: History of the Pacific Salmon Crisis), Vladivostok: Dal’niy Vostok, 2004.Google Scholar
- 17.Stekol’shchikova, M.Yu., Some results of monitoring for the pink salmon hatchery stocks from the Aniva Bay (Sakhalin Island), Izv. Tikhookean. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Rybn. Khoz. Okeanogr., 2015, vol. 183, pp. 51–60.Google Scholar
- 18.Agler, B.A., Hagen, P.T., Scott, J.R., et al., Wandering pink salmon: 1999 and 2000 thermal mark recoveries in Southeast Alaska, North Pac. Anadromous Fish Comm. Tech. Rep., 2001, no. 3, pp. 47–49.Google Scholar
- 19.Beamish, R.J., Mahnken, C., and Neville, C.M., Hatchery and wild production of Pacific salmon in relation to large-scale, natural shifts in the productivity of the marine environment, ICES J. Mar. Sci., 1997, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1200–1215.Google Scholar
- 21.Joyce, T.L. and Evans, D.G., Using thermal-marked otoliths to aid the management of Prince William Sound pink salmon, North Pac. Anadromous Fish Comm. Tech. Rep., 2001, no. 3, pp. 35–36.Google Scholar
- 22.Kawana, M., Urava, S., Hagen, P., and Munk, K.M., High-seas ocean distribution of Alaskan hatchery pink salmon estimated by otolith marks, North Pac. Anadromous Fish Comm. Tech. Rep., 2001, no. 3, pp. 27–29.Google Scholar