First record of a brachiopod (Brachiopoda: Terebrataliidae) in the fouling of hydrotechnical installations in Peter the Great Bay, Sea of Japan
Large mature individuals of the brachiopod Coptothyris adamsi Davidson, 1871 were found in the fouling of a pier in Koz’mina Bight (Nakhodka Bay, Peter the Great Bay, Sea of Japan) in September 2006. The population density of the brachiopod in the fouling reached 100 specimens/m2 and greatly exceeded the density of this species in benthic communities (4 specimens/m2). This is the first record of a brachiopod on anthropogenic substrates in the Far-Eastern seas of Russia. It is of particular interest because (1) C. adamsi is listed in the Red Book of Russia and (2) construction of an international oil terminal is planned for Koz’mina Bight. The brachiopod population can be used to monitor environmental conditions during the construction and further functioning of the oil terminal in Koz’mina Bight.
Key wordsBrachiopoda Coptothyris adamsi Koz’mina Bight oil terminal marine fouling Peter the Great Bay Sea of Japan fouling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aires, D.K. and Turner, H.D., Major Organisms of the Fouling, Morskoe obrastanie i bor’ba s nim (Marine Fouling and Its Control), Russian translation, Moscow: Voenizdat, 1957, pp. 168–211.Google Scholar
- 2.Vorob’ev, V.P., Bethos of the Azov Sea, Trudy AzCherNIRO, Simferopol’: Krymizdat, 1949, issue 13, pp. 1–193.Google Scholar
- 3.Zvyagintsev, A.Yu., Morskoe obrastanie v severozapadnoi chasti Tikhogo okeana (Marine Fouling in the Northwestern Pacific), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 2005.Google Scholar
- 4.Zezina, O.N., Brachiopods, Krasnaya kniga Rossiiskoi Federatsii. Zhivotnye (Red Book of Russian Federation: Animals), Moscow: Izdatel’stvo AST, Astrel’, 2001, part 3, pp. 47–50.Google Scholar
- 5.Zezina, O.N., Phylum Brachiopoda-The Brachiopods, Biota rossiiskikh vod Yaponskogo morya, vol. 3: Brachiopods and Phoronids, Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 2005, pp. 8–49.Google Scholar
- 6.Kashin, I.A., Techiques to Study the Fouling of Hydrotechnical Installations Using Scuba, Podvodnye gidrobiologicheskie issledovaniya (Submarine Hydrobiological Investigations), Vladivostok: Far-Eastern Scientific Center, USSR Academy of Sciences, 1982, pp. 42–47.Google Scholar
- 7.Kashin, I.A., Bagaveeva, E.V., and Chaplygina, S.F., Fouling of Hydrotechnical Installations in Nakhodka Bay (Sea of Japan), Biol. Morya, 2003, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 307–319.Google Scholar
- 8.Lotsiya severo-zapadnogo poberezh’ya Yaponskogo morya ot reki Tumannaya do mysa Belkina (Sailing Directions for the Northwestern Coast of the Sea of Japan, from the Tumannaya River to Belkina Cape), GUNiO, 1984, 319 p.Google Scholar
- 9.Kaesler, R.L., Ed., Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology, part H: Brachiopoda (Revised), Boulder, Colorado and Lawrence, Kansas: Geological Society of America and the University of Kansas, 2000.Google Scholar