Reproduction and development of the limpet Limalepeta lima (Dall, 1918) (Gastropoda: Lepetidae) from Peter the Great Bay, Sea of Japan
- 61 Downloads
Reproduction and larval development of the limpet Limalepeta lima (Dall, 1918) were studied under laboratory conditions for the first time. L. lima breeds in early July; it exhibits external fertilization and the pelagic lecithotrophic type of development. Larvae, juvenile, and adult specimens have different shell sculptures. Development from fertilization to settling and metamorphosis continues for 4–5 days at a water temperature of 16°C.
Key wordsLepetidae larvae development sculpture protoconch teleoconch
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Volova, G.N., Golikov, A.N., and Kusakin, O.G., Rakovinnye bryukhonogie mollyuski zaliva Petra Velikogo (Shelled Gastropod Mollusks of Peter the Great Bay), Vladivostok: Dal’nevostochnoe Knizhnoe Izdatel’stvo, 1979.Google Scholar
- 2.Gul’bin, V.V., Fauna of Prosobranch Gastropods in Peter the Great Bay, Sea of Japan and Its Biogeographical Composition, Biol. Morya, 2004, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 20–29.Google Scholar
- 3.Kaufman, Z.S., Osobennosti polovykh tsiklov belomorskikh bespozvonochnykh (Peculiarities of Sex Cycles in the White Sea Invertebrates), Leningrad: Nauka, 1977.Google Scholar
- 4.Kolbin, K.G. and Kulikova, V.A., Reproduction and Development of Lottia versicolor and Nipponacmea moskalevi (Gastropoda, Lottiidae), V Regional Conf. on Relevant Problems of Ecology, Marine Biology and Biotechnology, Rep. Abstr., Vladivostok: Far-Eastern State University, 2002, pp. 61–62.Google Scholar
- 5.Chernyshev, A.V. and Chernova, T.V., Patellogastropods (Patellogastropoda) of Far-Eastern Seas of Russia, Byul. Dal’nevost. Malakol. Ob-va, 2005, issue 9, pp. 7–26.Google Scholar
- 6.Dantart, L. and Luque, A., Cocculiniformia and Lepetidae (Gastropoda: Archaeogastropoda) from Iberian Waters, J. Mollusc. Stud., 1994, vol. 60, pp. 277–313.Google Scholar
- 8.Koppen, C.L., Glascock, J.R., and Holyoak, A.R., Spawning and Larval Development of the Ribbed Limpet, Lottia digitalis (Rathke, 1833), Veliger, 1996, vol. 39, pp. 241–243.Google Scholar
- 10.Sasaki, T., Comparative Anatomy and Phylogeny of the Recent Archaeogastropoda (Mollusca: Gastropoda), Bull. Univ. Mus. Univ. Tokyo, 1998, no. 38, pp. 3–223.Google Scholar
- 11.Wanniger, A., Ruthensteiner, B., Dictus, W.J.A.G., and Haszprunar, G., The Development of the Musculature in the Limpet Patella With Implications on its Role in the Process of Ontogenetic Torsion, Inv. Reprod. Dev., 1999, vol. 36, no. 1–3, pp. 211–215.Google Scholar