Regeneration processes in various species of planarians
Blastema growth and functional maturation of the pharynx during regeneration in various planarian species were compared. The intensity of blastema growth was highest in Polycelis tenuis; the lowest, in Schmidtea mediterranea. In the sexual and asexual races of Girardia tigrina blastema growth differed inconsiderably. The function of the pharynx during the regeneration of caudal fragments lacking pharynx was manifested in G. tigrina in the usual amount of time, while in the regeneration of head fragments lacking pharynx, this function occured earlier. In other planarian species of the other two typed, the times of pharynx regeneration had no regular character and took longer compared to the same process in G. tigrina.
Key wordsplanarians regeneration blastema pharynx feeding behavior
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bogorovskaya, G.I., Nervous System Regeneration in the Planaria, Tsitologiya, 1969, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 964–972.Google Scholar
- Kreshchenko, N.D., Pharynx Regeneration in the Planarian Dugesia tigrina, Ontogenez, 1993, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 66–71.Google Scholar
- Morgan, T.H., Regeneration, London: MacMillan Co., 1901.Google Scholar
- Nentvig, M.E., Comparative Morphological Studies of Head Development after Decapitation and after Fission in the Planarian Dugesia dorothocephala, Trans. Am. Microsc. Soc., 1978, vol. 50, pp. 553–561.Google Scholar
- Sengel, C., La Region Caudale d’une Planaire Est-Elle Capable d’Indure la Regeneration d’un Pharynx?, J. Embriol. Exp. Morphol., 1959, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 73–85.Google Scholar
- Sheiman, I.M., Regulyatory morfogeneza i ikh adaptivnaya rol’ (Regulators of Morphogenesis and Their Adaptive Role), Moscow: Nauka, 1984.Google Scholar
- Tiras, Kh.P. and Sakharova, N.Yu., Vital Morphometry of Regenerating Planarians, Ontogenez, 1984, vol. 15, no. 1. pp. 41–48.Google Scholar
- Wolff, E., Recent Researches on the Regeneration of Planaria, in Regeneration, New York: Ronald Press, 1962, pp. 53–84.Google Scholar
- Ziller, C., La Regeneration du Pharynx ches la Planaire Dugesia tigrina, C.R. Acad. Sci. Paris. D, 1973, vol. 277, pp. 1365–1368.Google Scholar