Urea Recycling in Muroid Rodents
- 12 Downloads
The results of urease activity studies in the digestive tract of muroid rodents Microtus socialis and Meriones meridianus are considered. It was noted that the absolute values of urease activity turned out to be comparable with those of lagomorphs, but were less than the results obtained for ungulates. The pronounced postgastric character of urealytic fermentation was shown. The possibility of significant urea recycling in muroid rodents aimed at compensating for dietary nitrogen deficiency and water conservation is considered.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Egan, A., Boda, K., and Verady, G., Regulation of nitrogen metabolism and recycling, in Control of Digestion and Metabolism in Ruminants, Milligan, L.P., Grovum, W., and Dobson, A., Eds., Englewood, Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, 1986, pp. 386–402.Google Scholar
- Israely, H., Choshniak, I., Stevens, C., and Shkolnik, A., Energy digestion and nitrogen economy of the domesticated donkey (Equus asinus asinus) in relation of food quality, J. Arid Envir., 1989, vol. 17, pp. 97–101.Google Scholar
- Kasatkin, M.V. and Neronov, V.V., The spatial structure of settlements and the breeding of the social vole (Microtus socialis Pallas, 1773) during the spreading of fires in semideserts, Byul. MOIP, 2005, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 92–97.Google Scholar
- Laktionov, K.S., Fiziologiya pitaniya krolikov i puti povysheniya stepeni ispol’zovaniya kormov (Physiology of Foraging of Rabbits and the Ways to Increase the Degree of Use of Feeds), Orel: Orlovsk. GAU, 2007.Google Scholar
- Michnova, E., Boda, K., Tomas, J., and Havassy, I., Urease activity in the contents and tissues of the sheep, pig and chicken gastrointestinal apparatus, Physiol. Bohem., 1979, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 545–550.Google Scholar
- Naumova, E.I., Funktsional’naya morfologiya pishchevaritel’noi sistemy gryzunov i zaitseobraznykh (Functional Morphology of the Digestive System of Rodents and Lagomorphs), Moscow: Nauka, 1981.Google Scholar
- Naumova, E.I., Ushakova, N.A., Meshcherskii, I.G., Kostina, N.V., and Umarov, M.M., Nitrogen fixation: a new phenomenon in rodent nutrition, Biol. Bull. (Moscow), 2000, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 272–275.Google Scholar
- Omarov, K.Z., Omarov, R.R., and Magomedov, M.Sh., Population status and characteristics of foraging of the midday gerbil (Meriones meridianus) in the northwestern Cis-Caspian region, Vestn. DagNTs RAN, 2015, no. 58, pp. 15–18.Google Scholar