Genetic Structure of the Coho Salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch in the Rivers of Northeastern Russia according to the Data on the Variability of the Cytochrome B Gene of Mitochondrial DNA
We note the special features of the genetic structure of coho salmon Oncorhynchus kisutch (Walbaum) populations from the rivers of the mainland coast of the Sea of Okhotsk, eastern Kamchatka, and Chukotka. The evolutionary age of the mitochondrial gene pool of this species from the studied localities is estimated. It is shown that the most widespread haplotype K1 appeared in coho salmon populations at the border of Middle and Late Pleistocene. The primary structure of the coho salmon Cytb protein is investigated. Radical substitutions in the amino acid sequence of this polypeptide are detected, which confirms the influence of the positive vector of directional selection.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Altukhov, Yu.P., Geneticheskie protsessy v populyatsiyakh (Genetic Processes in Populations), Moscow: Akademkniga, 2003.Google Scholar
- Bachevskaya, L.T. and Pereverzeva, V.V., Variability of cytochrome b gene of mitochondrial DNA of pink salmon Oncorhynchus gorbuscha (Walbaum) from the rivers of the continental coast of the Sea of Okhotsk and Zavyalov Island, Biol. Bull. (Moscow), 2013, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 11–18.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bachevskaya, L.T., Pereverzeva, V.V., and Ivanova, G.D., Variability of cytochrome b gene of mitochondrial DNA of sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka Walbaum) of Kamchatka rivers and northern coast of the Sea of Okhotsk, in Sokhranenie bioraznoobraziya Kamchatki i prilegayushchikh morei: Tez. dokl. XIV mezhdunar. nauch. konf. Petropavlovsk- Kamchatskii, 14–15 noyabrya 2013 (Conservation of Biodiversity of Kamchatka and Adjacent Seas: Abstr. XIV Int. Sci. Conf. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii, November 14–15, 2013), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii: Kamchatpress, 2013, pp. 40–43.Google Scholar
- Chereshnev, I.A., Biogeografiya presnovodnykh ryb Dal’nego Vostoka Rossii (Biogeography of Freshwater Fishes of the Far East of Russia), Vladivostok: Dal’nauka, 1998.Google Scholar
- Hopkins, D.M., The paleogeography and climatic history of Beringia during late Cenozoic time, Internord, 1972, vol. 12, pp. 121–150.Google Scholar
- Kimura, M., Molekulyarnaya evolyutsiya: teoriya neitral’nosti (Molecular Evolution: The Theory of Neutrality), Moscow: Mir, 1985.Google Scholar
- Lindberg, G.U., Krupnye kolebaniya urovnya okeana v chetvertichnyi period (Large Fluctuations in Sea Level during the Quaternary Period), Leningrad: Nauka, 1972.Google Scholar
- Miller, S., Underwood, T., and Spearman, W.J., Genetic assessment of inconnu (Stenodus leucichthys) from the Selawik and Kobuk rivers, Alaska, using PCR and RFLP analyses, Alaska Fish. Techn. Rep., 1998, no. 48, pp. 1–13.Google Scholar
- Nei, M., Molecular Evolutionary Genetics, New York: Columbia Univ. Press, 1987.Google Scholar
- Nei, M. and Kumar, S., Molecular Evolution and Phylogenetic, New York: Oxford Univ. Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- Tajima, F., Statistical method for testing the neutral mutation hypothesis by DNA polymorphism, Gen. Soc. Am., 1989, pp. 585–595.Google Scholar