Effects of neonatal fluvoxamine administration to white rats and their correction by semax treatment
The aim of this work was to study the delayed effects of chronic neonatal administration of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor fluvoxamine (FA) to white rat pups and to estimate the possibility to correct these effects by treatment with semax. Fluvoxamine was injected intraperitoneally at a dose of 10 mg/kg from postnatal days 1 to 14, and semax was injected intranasally at a dose of 0.05 mg/kg from postnatal days 15 to 28. It was shown that neonatal FA administration produced a significant delay in animal somatic growth. A loss in body weight was detected both during FA administration and 4–6 weeks after the last injection. Furthermore, FA administration increased the anxiety level and disturbed the learning ability of animals. The negative consequences of neonatal FA administration were largely compensated by Semax.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashmarin, I.P., Nezavibatko, V.N., Levitskaya, N.G., et al., Design and investigation of an ACTH(4-10) analogue lacking D-amino acids and hydrophobic radicals, Neurosci. Res. Commun., 1995, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 105–112.Google Scholar
- Ashmarin, I.P., Nezavibatko, V.N., Myasoedov, N.F., et al., Semax, a nootropic analog of ACTH 4–10 (15 years of experience in development and research), Zh. Vyssh. Nervn. Deyat., 1997, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 426–436.Google Scholar
- Diav-Citrin, O. and Ornoy, A., Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in human pregnancy: to treat or not to treat?,. Obstet. Gynecol. Int., 2012, vol. 2012, ID 698947.Google Scholar
- Hansen, H.H., Sanchez, C., and Meier, E., Neonatal administration of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor Lu 10-134-C increases forced swimming-induced immobility in 884 adult rats: a putative animal model of depression?,. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther., 1997, vol. 283, pp. 1333–1341.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sebentsova, E.A., Denisenko, A.V., Levitskaya, N.G., et al., Long-lasting behavioral effects of chronic neonatal treatment with ACTH (4–10) analogue semax in white rat pups, Zh. Vyssh. Nervn. Deyat., 2005, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 213–220.Google Scholar