Identification of sources of oil spills in soils and sediments by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry
Gas chromatography/mass spectrometry has been applied to the study of the residual oil contamination of the sediments in the area of an emergency mazut spill in an industrial enterprise. The contamination level appeared to be very high in nearly all samples collected within a rather wide area; however, the oil in the studied samples have undergone significant weathering; therefore, we have concluded that they had got into the sediments long before the spill under consideration or had been accumulating in them systematically for many years. The methodology of the identification of oil in soils taking into account their transfer and weathering is considered; it employs characteristics of the hydrocarbon type composition along with the individual marker compounds.
Keywordsoil spills identification of the contamination source GC/MS weathering type composition of oil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ASTM D5739-06: Standard Practice for Oil Spill Source Identification by Gas Chromatography and Positive Ion Electron Impact Low Resolution Mass Spectroscopy, Philadelphia, PA, 2006.Google Scholar
- 2.Wang, Z. and Stout, S.A., Oil Spill Environmental Forensics: Fingerprinting and Source Identification, New York: Academic, 2007.Google Scholar
- 5.Hood, A and O’Neil, M.L., in Advances in Mass Spectrometry, Waldron, J.W., Ed., New York: Pergamon, 1969, p. 175.Google Scholar
- 6.Polyakova, A.A., Molekulyarnyi mass-spektral’nyi analiz neftei (Molecular Mass Spectroscopic Analysis of Oils), Moscow: Nedra, 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.Brodskii, E.S., in Metody issledovaniya sostava organicheskikh soedinenii nefti i bitumoidov (Methods of Investigation of the Composition of Organic Compounds of Oils and Bitumens), Gal’pern, G.D., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 1985.Google Scholar
- 10.Odintsova, T.A., Abstracts of Papers, Konf. “Modelirovanie strategii i protsessov osvoeniya georesursov” (Conf. on Modelling of the Strategy and Processes of the Development of Geological Resources), Perm’, 2003, p. 241.Google Scholar