Stability of anionic liposome-cationic polymer complexes in water-salt media
- 95 Downloads
Laser microelectrophoresis, dynamic light scattering, and fluorescence and UV spectroscopy are employed to study poly-N-ethyl-4-vinylpyridinium bromide adsorption on the surface of bilayer lipid vesicles (liposomes) formed from mixtures of anionic phosphatidyl serine and electroneutral phosphatidylcholine. It is established that polycation adsorption is accompanied by the neutralization of charges on liposomes and their aggregation. The subsequent addition of a low-molecular-weight salt (NaCl) solution to suspensions of complexes causes them to dissociate into their initial components, while the stability of the complexes with respect to the salt action increases with the fraction of the anionic lipid in the liposome membranes. The data obtained are interpreted from the position of the formation-disintegration of a molecular capacitor, the charge of which is generated by spatially separated anionic lipids located in the bilayer membrane and cationic units of the adsorbed polyamine.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Yaroslavov, A.A., Efimova, A.A., Lobyshev, V.I., and Kabanov, V.A., Biochim. Biophys. Acta, Biomembr., 2002, vol. 14, p. 1560.Google Scholar
- 8.Oku, N., Yamaguchi, N., Yamaguchi, N., et al., J. Biochem., 1986, vol. 100, p. 935.Google Scholar
- 11.Yaroslavov, A.A., Efimova, A.A., Lobyshev, V.I., et al., Membr. Cell Biol., 1997, vol. 10, p. 683.Google Scholar
- 12.Yaroslavov, A.A., Efimova, A.A., and Sybachin, A.V., Vysokomol. Soedin., Ser. A, 2009, vol. 51, p. 952.Google Scholar
- 14.Liposomes: A Practical Approach. Practical Approach Ser., Hames, B.D. and Rickwood, E., Eds., New York: Oxford Univ. Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- 17.Kabanov, V.A., Vysokomol. Soedin., Ser. A, 1994, vol. 36, p. 183.Google Scholar
- 18.Dautzenberg, H., Jaeger, W., Koetz, J., Philipp, B., Seidel, Ch., and Stscherbina, D., Polyelectrolytes. Formation, Characterization and Application, Munich: Hanser, 1994.Google Scholar
- 19.Dubin, P., J. Macromol. Sci., Pure Appl. Chem., 1994, vol. A31, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 20.Izumrudov, V.A., Usp. Khim., 2008, vol. 77, p. 401.Google Scholar