Scale-space line curvature estimation for straight line and circle detection
- 133 Downloads
A scale-space algorithm for estimating the local curvature of lines (edges or isolines) is presented. Two variants of edge curvature estimation based on differential invariants are suggested and compared. The first variant uses the edge curvature formula derived in the paper and the second is based on image preprocessing, which allows one to use the isoline curvature formula for edge curvature estimation. An analysis of scale selection needed to reach a desired accuracy is presented. Also, noise influence analysis has been performed. The application of curvature estimation to detection of straight lines and circles is suggested and implemented. Curvature information usage in parametric curve detection speeds up search algorithms and makes the results more stable.
Keywordsedge curvature isoline curvature scale-space straight line detection circle detection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.L. Xu and E. Oja, “Randomized Hough Transform,” in Encyclopedia of Artificial Intelligence, Ed. by J. R. R. Dopico, J. Dorado, and A. Pazos (IGI Global Publ., 2008), pp. 1354–1361.Google Scholar
- 7.A. P. Witkin, “Scale-Space Filtering,” in Proc. 8th Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (Karlsruhe, Aug. 1983), pp. 1019–1022.Google Scholar
- 10.D. G. Lowe, “Object Recognition from Local Scale-Invariant Features,” in Proc. Int. Conf. on Computer Vision (Corfu, Sept. 1999), pp. 1150–1157.Google Scholar
- 11.E. Tola, V. Lepetit, and P. Fua, “A Fast Local Descriptor for Dense Matching,” Proc. IEEE CVPR (Anchorage, 2008), pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 12.W. K. Pratt, Digital Image Processing: PIKS Scientific Inside, 4th ed. (Wiley-Intersci., 2007).Google Scholar