Application of two-dimensional principal component analysis for recognition of face images
- 106 Downloads
A two-dimensional principal component analysis (2D PCA) method directed at processing digital images is discussed. The method is based on representation of images as a set of rows and columns analyzing these sets. Two methods of realizing the 2D PCA corresponding to the parallel and cascade forms of its realization are presented, and their characteristics are estimated. The application of the 2D PCA method is shown for solving problems of representation and recognition of facial images. The experiments are fulfilled on ORL and FERET bases.
Keywordsfacial images recognition Two-Dimensional Principal Component Analysis (2D PCA) parallel and cascade forms of 2D PCA realization reduction of attribute space dimension reduction of operational complexity 2D PCA application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. K. Pratt, Digital Image Processing (Wiley, 1978; Mir, Moscow, 1982).Google Scholar
- 3.N. Tsapatsoulis, V. Alexopoulos, and S. A. Kollias, “Vector Based Approximation of KLT and Its Application to Face Recognition,” in Proc. IX European Signal Processing Conf. EUSIPCO-98 (Rhodes Palace, Island of Rhodes, Sept. 8–11 1998), Vol. III, pp. 1581–1584.Google Scholar
- 4.G. A. Kukharev, Binomial Systems: Methods and Means for Person Identification (Politekhnika, St. Petersburg, 2001) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.G. A. Kukharev and N. L. Shchegoleva, Face Recognition Systems (Izd. SPbGETU “LETI”, St. Petersburg, 2006) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.W. Zuo, K. Wang, and H. Zhang, “Subspace Methods for Face Recognition: Singularity, Regularization, and Robustness,” in State of the Art in Face Recognition, Ed. by Dr. I. Mario and M. Chacon (I-Tech, Vienna, 2009).Google Scholar
- 7.G. A. Kukharev, “Search of Faces Images in the Big Data Bases,” Zh. “Mir Izmeren.”, No. 4 (98), 22–30 (2009).Google Scholar
- 8.The ORL Database, Available from: www.uk.research.att.com/pub/data/att-faces.zip
- 9.The Facial Recognition Technology (FERET) Database, Available from: http://itl.nist.gov/iad/humanid/feret/feret-master.html