Biomedical properties of laser prepared silver-doped hydroxyapatite
- 92 Downloads
Thin films of hydroxyapatite (HA) and silver-doped HA were synthesized using KrF excimer laser deposition. Material was ablated from one target composed from silver and HA segments. Layers properties as silver content, structure, color, FTIR spectra and antibacterial properties (Gram-positive Bacillus subtilis) were measured. Silver concentration in HA layers of 0.06, 0.3, 1.2, 4.4, 8.3, and 13.7 at % was detected. The antibacterial efficacy changed with silver dopation from 71.0 to 99.9%. The focus is on investigation of minimum Ag concentration needed to reach a high antibacterial efficacy.
KeywordsHydroxyapatite Laser Physics Antibacterial Property Lysogeny Broth Antibacterial Efficacy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. J. Narayan, “Functionally Gradient Hard Carbon Composites for Improved Adhesion and Wear,” Doctoral Dissertation in Materials Science and Engineering (2002).Google Scholar
- 3.B. D. Ratner, A. S. Hoffman, F. J. Schoen, and J. E. Lemons, Biomaterials Science (Elsevier Academic, Amsterdam, 2004).Google Scholar
- 4.V. Nelea and M. Jelinek, in Pulsed Laser Deposition of Thin Films: Applications-Led Growth of Functional Materials, Ed. by R. Eason (Wiley-VCH, Berlin, 2007).Google Scholar
- 7.G. Gosberg, J. Hardes, H. Ahrens, A. Streitburger, H. Berger, M. Erren, A. Gunsel, F. H. Kemper, W. Winkemann, and C. von Tiff, Biomaterials 25, 5547 (2000).Google Scholar
- 10.A. Gupta and S. Silver, Nat. Biotechnol. 16888 (1988).Google Scholar
- 13.Z. Kertzman, J. Marchal, M. Suarez, M. H. Staia, P. Filip, P. Kohli, and S. M. Aouadi, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A 84, 1061 (2008).Google Scholar
- 14.A. B. G. Lansdown, Br. J. Nurs. 13(Suppl.), S6 (2004).Google Scholar
- 18.N. Remensbabu, T. S., Sampath Kumar, T. G. Prabhakar, V. S. Sastry, K. V. G. K. Murty, K. Prasah Rao, J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A, 581 (2006).Google Scholar
- 20.Brock Biology of Microorganisms, Ed. by M. Madigan and J. Martinko, 11th ed. (Prentice Hall, 2005).Google Scholar