A Study into the Temperature and Size Effects in Nanostructures on Their Fracture under External Mechanical Loads
- 4 Downloads
The paper presents a molecular dynamics study into the temperature and size effects in nanostructures on their mechanical characteristics and fracture. The study shows that among the cross-sectional areas studied, the least one measuring ny × nz = 5 × 5 lattice cells is boundary for perfect nanostructures, and at larger areas, these characteristics tend to those of macrostructures. dor all systems considered, a linear decrease with increasing temperature is observed in Young's modulus and in critical applied stress at which fracture occurs.
Keywordsnanostructure size effect temperature effect fracture molecular dynamics simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Regel, V.R., Slutsker, A.I., and Tomashevsky, E.E., Kinetic Nature of the Strength of Solids, Moscow: Nauka, 1974.Google Scholar
- 7.Liu, Y., Wang, F., Zhao, J., Jiang, L., Kiguchi, M., and Murakoshi, K., Theoretical Investigation on the Influence of Temperature and Crystallographic Orientation on the Breaking Behavior of Copper Nanowire, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2009, vol. 11, pp. 6514–6519. doi 10.1039/b902795eCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Voter, A.F., Embedded Atom Method Potentials for Seven FCC Metals: Ni, Pd, Pt, Cu, Ag, Au, and Al, Los Alamos Unclassified Technical Report #LA–UR 93–3901, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.Golovneva, E.I., Golovnev, I.F., and Fomin, V.M., Simulation of Quasistatic Processes in Crystals by a Molecular Dynamics Method, Phys. Mesomech., 2003, vol. 6, no. 5–6, pp. 41–45.Google Scholar
- 11.Bolesta, A.V., Golovnev, I.F., and Fomin, V.M., Contact Melting of Nickel Cluster at Collision with Rigid Wall, Phys. Mesomech., 2001, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 5–10.Google Scholar
- 12.Schneider, T. and Stoll, E., Molecular–Dynamics Study of a Three–Dimensional One–Component Model for Distortive Phase Transitions, Phys. Rev. B, 1997, vol. 17, no. 3, pp.1302–1322.Google Scholar
- 14.Andersen, H.C., Molecular Dynamics Simulations at Constant Pressure and/or Temperature, J. Chem. Phys 1980, vol. 72, pp. 2384–2393.Google Scholar