Internal Waves of Mode 2 in the Black Sea
- 19 Downloads
The results of the first observations of mode 2 internal waves in the Black Sea are presented. The measurements were carried out on the Crimean shelf from the MGI platform in July 2011. In the period after the sweep when the measurements were performed, mode 1 inertial internal waves were observed first and then mode 2. The oscillations of mode 2 were most pronounced in the vertical displacements of the water column, reaching the amplitudes of 10 m. The features of mode 2 were also noted in fluctuations of the horizontal component of the currents. Along with the registration of mode 2 inertial internal waves, the appearance of short-period internal waves of mode 2 was also noted.
This study was performed within the framework of a State Assignment of the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences, theme no. 0149-2019-0011.
- 1.W. H. Munk, in Evolution of Physical Oceanography (Cambridge, 1981).Google Scholar
- 2.K. D. Sabinin, A. N. Serebryanyi, and A. A. Nazarov, Oceanology (Engl. Transl.) 44 (6), 753–759 (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.V. A. Ivanov and A. N. Serebryanyi, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 18 (6), 683–685 (1982).Google Scholar
- 11.A. N. Serebryanyi and V. A. Ivanov, Fundam. Prikl. Gidrofiz., No. 3, 34–45 (2013).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Serebryany, Hydroacoustics 17, 187–198 (2014).Google Scholar
- 13.V. V. Goncharov and I. A. Leikin, Okeanologiya 23 (2), 210 (1983).Google Scholar