Water Scarcity and the Role of Groundwater in Salinization of the Don Avandelta
- 8 Downloads
This paper reports on the seasonal changes in the regimes of mineralization in the Don delta. This study was based on the database of the automatic hydrometeorological stations located in the Don delta and on the pre-estuarine coastal waters of Taganrog Bay. The ionic composition of the water samples showed that the ratio of the groundwater flow increases during cold seasons in the girlos connecting the delta channels of the Don and Kagalnik rivers. The ingress of less mineralized waters from the Don River almost ceases during the negative surges, and stream flows are filled with saline groundwater. This is another consequence of the water scarcity in the Don River Basin.
This work was prepared within the framework of the Federal Target Program “Studies and Developments on the Top-Priority Trends on the Development of the Russian Scientific-Technological Complex in 2014–2020,” agreement no. 14.607.21.0163, unique identifier RFMEFI60716X0163 for G.G. Matishov, and the Transitional Federal Institute of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences 1.52 “Providing for Stable Development of the Russian South in the Conditions of Climatic, Ecological, and Technogenic Challenges (State Order of the Southern Science Center, Russian Academy of Sciences, project no. АААА-А18-118011990324-5),” and within the framework of the project “Development of Technology and Biotechnology of Nontraditional Fish Species and Invertebrates for the Progress of Aquaculture of the Southern and Northwestern Federal Districts of Russia” for K.S. Grigorenko.
- 1.Hydrometeorology and Hydrochemistry of the USSR Seas, Vol. 5: Sea of Azov, Ed. by D. E. Gershanovich, N. P. Goptarev, B. M. Zatuchnaya, and A. I. Simonov (Gidrometeozidat, St. Petersburg, 1991) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.A. M. Nikanorov, Regional Hydrochemistry (NOK, Rostov-on-Don, 2011) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.G. G. Matishov and A. I. Ermolaev, The World of Glossy Ibis and Seacoast as Viewed by Don Cossacks (Southern Sci. Center Russ. Acad. Sci., Rostov-on-Don, 2017) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.V. Ya. Berger, Adaptation of Oceanides for Variations in Medium Salinity (Nauka, Leningrad, 1986) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.GOST (State Standard) No. 2874-82: Drinking Water. Hygienic Requirements and Quality Control (Izd. Standartov, Moscow, 1982). SanPiN (Health and Hygiene Rules and Standards) No. 22.214.171.12449-01: Drinking Water. Hygienic Requirements for Water Quality in centralized Drinking Water supply systems. Quality Control (Moscow, 2001).Google Scholar