Subsea Permafrost Thawing as a Factor of Changes in the Elemental Composition
- 21 Downloads
The differences in the concentration of elements between thawed and frozen sediments were shown in the samples from two boreholes from the coastal zone of the Laptev Sea (Buor-Khaya Bay). The thalassogenic nature of enrichment of thawed deposits with sodium, chlorine, and to a lesser degree sulfur and phosphorus was confirmed. The difference in the concentration of chlorine between thawed and frozen soils may reach two orders.
The field studies were carried out with the support of the Government of the Russian Federation (contract no. 14.Z50.31.0012) and by the Russian Science Foundation (grant no. 14-50-00095). Material processing and analyses were performed within the framework of the state task of the Institute of Oceanology, Russian Academy of Sciences (project no. 0149-2018-0005), with partial support of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 16-05-00017).
- 1.N. N. Romanovskii, Foundations of Lithospheric Cryogenesis (Moscow State Univ., Moscow, 1993) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.System of Laptev Sea and Adjacent Arctic Seas: Modern State and History of Development, Ed. by H. Kassens, A. P. Lisitsyn, J. Thiede, E. I. Polyakova, L. A. Timokhov, and I. E. Frolov (Moscow State Univ., Moscow, 2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.S. Nikiforov, Seabed Morphology of the Russian Arctic Shelf (Nova Sci. Publ., 2010).Google Scholar
- 4.L. I. Lobkovskiy, S. L. Nikiforov, N. N. Dmitrevskiy, N. V. Libina, I. P. Semiletov, R. A. Ananiev, A. A. Meluzov, and A. G. Roslyakov, Oceanology (Engl. Transl.) 55 (2), 283–290 (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.N. Shakhova, I. Semiletov, V. Sergienko, L. Lobkovsky, V. Yusupov, A. Salyuk, A. Salomatin, D. Chernykh, D. Kosmach, G. Panteleev, D. Nicolsky, V. Samarkin, S. Joye, A. Charkin, O. Dudarev, A. Meluzov, and O. Gustafsson, Philos. Trans. R. Soc., A 373, 20140451 (2015).Google Scholar
- 6.N. Shakhova, I. Semiletov, O. Gustafsson, V. Sergienko, L. Lobkovsky, O. Dudarev, V. Tumskoy, M. Grigoriev, A. Mazurov, A. Salyuk, R. Ananiev, A. Koshurnikov, D. Kosmach, A. Charkin, N. Dmitrevsky, V. Karnaukh, A. Gunar, A. Meluzov, and D. Chernykh, Nat. Commun. 8, 15872 (2017).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.A. S. Ulyantsev, L. I. Lobkovsky, A. V. Zhavoronkov, and E. A. Romankevich, Oceanology (Engl. Transl.) 55 (6), 919–925 (2015).Google Scholar