Middle–Late Paleozoic Duplex Rifting of the Barents Continental Margin and the Role Played in Formation of the East Barents Megabasin
- 26 Downloads
Based on analysis and interpretation of seismic and other geological-geophysical data, duplex rifting is identified in the Paleozoic evolution of the South Barents Basin. Its first, pre–Late Devonian, phase was manifested on the southeastern side zone that limited the Pechora Plate structures. After a certain pause, a second, pre–Late Carboniferous phase involved the western Barents Sea region, including the slope of the Central Barents Rise and the western South Barents Basin. Thus, Late Paleozoic riftogenic structures in the western and southeastern South Barents Basin formed at different times. All this caused an asymmetric structure profile and asynchronicity of evolution of the rift system sides. In the Mesozoic, under the effect of formation of the Novaya Zemlya fold-and-thrust structure, the asymmetry of the riftogenic trough became even more contrasting.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. S. Kazanin, S. I. Shkarubo, and V. A. Zhuravlev, in Proc. Int. Workshop “State and Trends for Developing State Geological Mapping of the Russian Federation Territory and Its Continental Shelf (Karpinsky Russ. Geol. Res. Inst., St. Petersburg, 2015) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.M. V. Korotaev, A. M. Nikishin, E. V. Shipilov, et al., Dokl. Earth Sci. A 359 (3), 364–367 (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.V. I. Bogatskii, N. A. Bogdanov, S. L. Kostyuchenko, B. V. Senin, S. F. Sobolev, E. V. Shipilov, and V. E. Khain, Explanatory Note for Tectonic Map of Barents Sea and Northern Part of European Russia 1: 2 500 000 (Inst. Lithosphere Russ. Acad. Sci., Moscow, 1996).Google Scholar
- 6.V. I. Ustritskii, in Proc. 42nd Tecton. Conf. (Geos, Moscow, 2009), Vol. 2, pp. 253–256 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.E. V. Shipilov, Dokl. Earth Sci. 402 (4), 529–533 (2005).Google Scholar
- 10.E. V. Shipilov and S. I. Shkarubo, Current Issues of Geology and Tectonics of Sedimentary Basins of Eurasian-Arctic Continental Margin. Vol. 1. Lithologic-and Seismostratigraphic Complexes of Sedimentary Basins of the Barents-Kara Shelf (Kola Sci. Center Russ. Acad. Sci., Apatity, 2010) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.S. I. Shkarubo and E. V. Shipilov, Razved. Okhr. Nedr, No. 9, 32–47 (2007).Google Scholar
- 12.A. D. Shcheglov, V. N. Moskaleva, B. A. Markovskii, L. R. Kolbantsev, M. P. Orlova, and V. F. Smol’kin, Magmatism and Metallogeny of Rift Systems of Eastern Part of Baltic Craton (Nedra, St. Petersburg, 1993) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 13.A. K. Bogolepov and E. V. Shipilov, in Proc. EAGE 58th Conf. Techn. Exhibition (Amsterdam, 1996), Vol. 2, A017.Google Scholar
- 14.R. H. Gabrielsen, R. B. Faerseth, L. N. Jensen, et al., NPD-Bulletin (Oliedirektoratet, 1990), Iss.6.Google Scholar
- 15.Lithospheric Structure of the Russian Barents Region, Ed. by N. V. Sharov, F. P. Mitrofanov, M. L. Verba, and K. Gillen (Karelian Res. Center Russ. Acad. Sci., Petrozavodsk, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar