Physical characteristics of the Gulf Stream as an indicator of the quality of large-scale circulation modeling
- 36 Downloads
The general idea of this work is to show that the efficiency of modeling boundary currents (compared to the results of observations) can serve as an indicator of correctness for the modeling of the entire large-scale ocean circulation. The results of calculation of the mean surface currents in the Gulf Stream area based on direct measurements from drifters are presented together with the results of numerical modeling of variability of the Gulf Stream transport at 33°N over the period 2005–2014 based on data from Argo profiling buoys.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. P. Nikitin, Meteospektr. 2, 78–81 (2011).Google Scholar
- 4.G. Schott, Ann. Hydrogr. Marit. Meteorol. 71 (7), 281–282 (1943).Google Scholar
- 5.Oceanology. Physics of the Ocean, Vol. 1: Hydrophysics of the Ocean, Ed. by V. M. Kamenkovich and A. S. Monin (Nauka, Moscow, 1978) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.A. S. Sarkisyan, Izv., Atmos. Ocean. Phys. 40 (5), 556–568 (2004).Google Scholar
- 7.A. S. Sarkisyan and V. F. Ivanov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 7 (2), 173–188 (1971).Google Scholar