First results of U/Pb dating of detrital zircons from Early Paleozoic and Devonian sandstones of the Baltic-Ladoga region (south Ladoga Area)
- 73 Downloads
The first results of U/Pb isotopic dating (LA ICP MS) of detrital zircons from sands from the Middle Cambrian Sablinka Formation, Upper Cambrian Ladoga Formation, Low Ordovician Tosna Formation, and calcareous sands from Syas’ Formation (Sargaevskii horizon of the Upper Frasnian) from Baltica-Ladoga Glint (BLG) of the Southern Ladoga area are presented. The obtained ages of detrital zircons span the intervals 492.7 ± 5.1-3196.4 ± 5.1 Ma (Sablino Formation); 577.9 ± 7–2972.6 ± 13.4 Ma (Ladoga Formation); 509.4 ± 8.5–3247.6 ± 10.1 Ma (Tosna Formation); 451.1 ± 14.7–2442.2 ± 6.9 Ma (Syas’ Formation). A comparison of the obtained isotopic ages of detrital zircons to ages of crystalline complexes composing the Kola-Karelian, Svecofennian, and Sveconorwegian domains of Baltic Shield and Pre-Uralian-Timanian structures of Subpolar and Polar Urals and basement of Pechora Basin was carried out. It is proposed that the Middle Paleozoic sedimentary basin accumulated Upper Frasnian rocks of Syas’ Formation. The basin ranged northward from the present-day BLG and occupied the eastern part of the Baltic Shield.
KeywordsDevonian Cambrian Ordovician DOKLADY Earth Science Detrital Zircon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Geology of the Soviet Union, vol. 1 Leningrad, Pskov, and Novgorod Oblasts. Geologic Description (Nedra, Moscow, 1971) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.Early Precambrian of the Baltic shield, Ed. by V.A. Gle- bovitskii (Nauka, St. Petersburg, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.L. A. Kirichenko, Kontozero Series of Carboniferous Rocks in the Kola Peninsula (Nedra, Leningrad, 1970) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.L. E. Popov, K. K. Khazanovich, N. G. Borovko, et al., Tr. MSK SSSR, vol. 18 Reference Sections and Stratigraphy of the Cambrian-Ordovician Phosphorite-Bearing Obolus Sequence in the northwest of the East European Craton, (Nedra, Leningrad, 1989).Google Scholar
- 5.Decisions of the Interagency Regional Stratigraphic Meeting on Middle and Upper Paleozoic of the East European Craton, Leningrad, 1988 (with Regional Stratigraphic Units). Devonian System (n.p., Leningrad, 1990) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.L. B. Rukhin, “Cambrian-Ordovician Sandy Sequence in Leningrad Oblast,” Uch. Zap. LGU. Ser. Geol.-pochv. Nauk, No. 4, (1939).Google Scholar
- 7.E. N. Terekhov, Litosfera, No. 6, 15–39 (2007).Google Scholar
- 9.K. C. Condie, in The Precambrian Earth: Tempos and Events (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2004), pp. 163–173.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Dronov, T. Tolmacheva, E. Raevskaya, and M. Nestell, Cambrian and Ordovician of St. Peterburg Region (St. Petersburg State Univ., St. Peterburg, 2005).Google Scholar
- 12.G. E. Gehrels, V. Valencia, and J. Ruiz, Geochem., Geophys., Geosyst. 9(3) (2008).Google Scholar