Design of a Single-Crystal Diffractometer for the PIK Reactor
- 10 Downloads
The scheme of arrangement of a four-circle diffractometer on a thermal neutron beam from the HEC-9 channel of the PIK reactor is proposed. Calculations are performed using analytical and numerical approaches. The setup parameters are optimized: the resolution, the size of the focusing monochromator and its curvature in the vertical and horizontal directions, the efficiency of filters, and the monochromatic neutron-flux density on the sample, with which the maximum intensity is achieved in the detector. It is shown that the beam intensity at the position of the detector is a more important parameter than the intensity at the sample position during device optimization. The device characteristic obtained will allow studying the atomic and magnetic structure of a wide class of crystals.
Keywords:diffraction neutron tools resolution McStas
We are grateful to M.S. Onegina for the granted spectrum for the HEC-9 channel.
- 1.Yu. Z. Nozik, K. P. Ozerov, and K. Hennig, Neutrons and Solids. Structural Neutron Diffractometry (Atomizdat, Moscow, 1979) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 2.A. N. Erykalov, I. A. Kondurov, and K. A. Konoplev, Preprint No. 852, LIYaF (Leningrad Institute of Nuclear Physics, 2013).Google Scholar
- 3.B. Pedersen, J. Large-Scale Res. Facil. 1 (A4), 8 (2015).Google Scholar
- 4.G. Cicognani, The ILL Yellow Book [Electronic resource]. 2008. http://www.ill.eu/fileadmin/users_files/Other_Sites/YellowBook2008CDRom/index.htm.Google Scholar
- 5.Experimental facilities Laboratoire Léon Brillouin. http://www-llb.cea.fr/fr-en/spectros-llb.pdf.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Schober, in Neutron Applications in Earth, Energy and Environmental Sciences, Ed. by L. Liyuan, R. Rinaldi, and H. Schober (Springer, New York, 2009), p. 37.Google Scholar
- 12.V. Wagner, P. Mikula, P. Lukáš, R. Scherm, and L. Sedláková, Phys. B Condens. Matter. 180–181, 978 (1992).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Alianelli, M. Sanchez Del Rio, and R. Felici, Proc. SPIE–Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 4509, 135 (2001).Google Scholar