Features of Ion-Beam Polishing of the Surface of Sapphire
- 10 Downloads
The effect of an argon ion beam on the surface of sapphire is studied at different technological parameters: the ion energy, and the angle α between the sapphire surface and the ion-beam axis. The roughness of the sapphire surface is analyzed before and after ion polishing. The optimum ion-beam parameters are determined, at which the surface roughness after polishing decreases to 0.8 nm. At angles α = 20°–30°, the relief of the sapphire surface is found to become wavy. The study of the impact of the ion energy on the roughness of the sapphire surface in the 400–1200-eV range reveals that an increase in the energy of the ion beam to 1200 eV is accompanied with a decrease by 8.8 times in the roughness which falls below the level of 3 nm.
Keywordsion-beam treatment roughness of thesapphire surface Ar ion beam
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sputtering by Particle Bombardment III. Characteristics of Sputtered Particles, Technical Applications, Ed. by R. Behrisch and K. Wittmaack (Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1991).Google Scholar
- 2.N. N. Andrianova, A. M. Borisov, V. V. Borovskaya, and E. S. Mashkova, Prikl. Fiz., No. 2, 36 (2012).Google Scholar
- 3.V. T. Barchenko, Yu. A. Bystrov, and E. A. Kolgin, Ion-Plasma Technologies for Electron Manufacturing, Ed. by Yu. A. Bystrov (Energoatomizdat, St. Petersburg, 2001) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.J. Vollner, B. Ziberi, F. Frost, and B. Rauschenbach, Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1181, DD13-15 (2009).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Frost, R. Fechner, B. Ziberi, et al., J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 21, 224026 (2009).Google Scholar
- 7.L. S. Lunin, I. A. Sysoev, S. N. Chebotarev, and A. S. Pashchenko, Vestn. Yuzhn. Nauchn. Tsentra Ross. Akad. Nauk 6 (4), 46 (2010).Google Scholar
- 8.F. Frost, B. Ziberi, R. Fechner, et al., in Proc. 19th Int. Conference “Interaction between Ions and Surface (VIP-2009)” (Moscow, 2009), Vol. 1, p. 195.Google Scholar
- 10.N. N. Andrianova, A. M. Borisov, V. V. Borovskaya, and E. S. Mashkova, Prikl. Fiz., No. 2, 36 (2012).Google Scholar