Effect of recoil atoms on radiation-defect formation in semiconductors under 1–10-MeV proton irradiation
- 35 Downloads
The formation of radiation defects in Si under 1–10-MeV proton bombardment is analyzed. Numerical simulation is carried out, and histograms of the distribution of the energy transferred to recoil atoms are obtained. Two energy ranges are considered when analyzing the histograms. Single Frenkel pairs with closely located components are produced in the first range (small energies). Recoil atoms of the second range have an energy sufficient for the production of a displacement cascade. As a result, nanoscale regions with high densities of vacancies and different types of their complexes appear. In addition, as the energy of the primary knocked-out atoms increases, the average distance between genetically related Frenkel pairs increases, and, as a consequence, the fraction of pairs that are not recombined under bombardment increases.
Keywordsproton bombardment Rutherford scattering radiation defect recoil atom Frenkel pair silicon silicon carbide divacancy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. W. Corbett and J. C. Bourgoin, Point Defects in Solids, Vol. 2: Semiconductors and Molecular Crystals, Ed. by J. H. Crawford and L. M. Slifkin (Plenum, New York, London, 1975).Google Scholar
- 3.G. J. Dienes and G. H. Vineyard, Radiation Effects in Solids (Interscience, New York, 1957).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Holmes-Siedle and L. Adams, Handbook of Radiation Effects (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1993).Google Scholar
- 8.J. F. Ziegler, J. P. Biersack, and U. Littmark, The Stopping and Range of Ions in Solids (Pergamon, New York, 1985).Google Scholar
- 10.V. V. Emtsev, G. A. Oganesyan, N. V. Abrosimov, et al., Solid State Phenom. 205–206, 422 (2014).Google Scholar
- 11.D. V. Davydov, A. A. Lebedev, V. V. Kozlovski, et al., Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter Mater. Phys. 308, 641 (2001).Google Scholar
- 13.N. Yu. Arutyunov, M. Elsayed, R. C. Krause-Rehberg, et al., Solid State Phenom. 205–206, 317 (2014).Google Scholar