Taking into Account the Ground Effect on Aircraft Wake Vortices When Estimating Their Circulation from Lidar Measurements
- 8 Downloads
An algorithm developed earlier for estimating the circulation of aircraft wake vortices from measurements by a Stream Line pulsed coherent Doppler lidar has been improved by using the model of a pair of aircraft vortices in the algorithm. The model takes into account the ground effect on the spatial dynamics and evolution of the vortices. In a numerical experiment, it has been shown that the improved algorithm allows one to obtain the result with a high accuracy whereas the approach used earlier overestimates the lidar measured vortex circulation approximately by 10%.
Keywords:coherent Doppler lidar aircraft wake vortices
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
The author declares that he has no conflicts of interest.
- 1.V. I. Babkin, A. S. Belotserkovskii, L. I. Turchak, N. A. Baranov, A. I. Zamyatin, M. I. Kanevskii, V. V. Morozov, I. V. Pasekunov, and N. Yu. Chizhov, Wave Turbulence Safety Flight Systems (Nauka, Moscow, 2008) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.H. S. Wassaf, D. C. Burnham, and F. Y. Wang, “Wake vortex Tangential Velocity Adaptive Spectral (TVAS) algorithm for pulsed lidar systems,” in Proc. of the 16th Bi-Annual Coherent Laser Radar Conf. Session 9—Wind Measurement Systems II. 20–24 June2011, California. Google Scholar
- 16.I. N. Smalikho, V. A. Banakh, A. V. Falits, and A. A. Sukharev, “An experiment on the study of aircraft wake vortices at the airfield of Tolmachevo Airport in 2018,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 32 (8), 609–619 (2019).Google Scholar
- 17.V. A. Banakh and I. N. Smalikho, Coherent Doppler Wind Lidars (Artech Housу, Boston-London, 2013).Google Scholar
- 18.H. Lamb, Hydrodynamics (Dover, New York, 1932).Google Scholar
- 19.D. C. Burnham and J. N. Hallock, Chicago Monostatic Acoustic Vortex Sensing System (U.S. Department of Transportation, 1982).Google Scholar
- 20.C. W. Schwarz, K. U. Hahn, and D. Fischenberg, “Wake encounter severity assessment based on validated aerodynamic interaction models,” in AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conf., 2–5 August 2010, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. http://www.wakenet.eu/fileadmin/user_ upload/News%26Publications/AIAA-237438-765.pdf. Cited April 22, 2019.Google Scholar