Four-Channel Photoelectric Counter of Saltating Sand Particles
- 14 Downloads
A four-channel photoelectric counter has been designed and manufactured for the measurements of saltating sand concentration fluctuations and size distribution function of particles with diameters >30 μm over desertified areas. The measurement results are given. It is shown that the vertical profile of the saltating sand concentration does not change on average in the altitude range from 3 to 7 cm over a desertified area in the neighborhood of the Volga. The distribution function of saltating sand particles over the desertified area is approximated with satisfactory accuracy by the lognormal distribution near the distribution maximum. Noticeable distinctions between the abovementioned distributions for large and small sand particles are observed.
Keywordssand wind flux saltation saltating sand particle concentration particle size distribution fourchannel photoelectric counter size distribution approximation lognormal distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Shao, Physics and Modeling of Wind Erosion (Springer, New York, 2008).Google Scholar
- 3.E. K. Byutner, Dynamics of Surface Air Layer (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1978) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Zolotokrylin, Climatic Desertification (Nauka, Moscow, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.O. E. Semenov, Introduction into Experimental Meteorology and Climatology of Snad Storms (KazNIIEK, Almaty, 2011) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 16.R. A. Bagnold, The Physics of Blown Sand and Desert Dunes (Methuen, London, 1941).Google Scholar
- 18.S. P. Belyaev, M. K. Nikiforova, V. V. Smirnov, and G. I. Shchelchkov, Optoelectronic Techniques for Aerosol Measurements (Energiya, Moscow, 1981) [in Russian].Google Scholar