Influence of Solvent of in situ Electro-Polymerization on Catalytic Performance of PEDOT Counter Electrode
- 1 Downloads
In this work, we discuss the catalytic performance of poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) (PEDOT) counter electrode prepared via electro-polymerization (EP) method in Na2SO4 aqueous solution and [BMIM]BF4 ionic liquid for dye-sensitized solar cells (DSSCs), respectively. The electrochemical and photoelectric conversion tests result show that [BMIM]BF4 is more beneficial to dissolve EDOT and thereby promote the growth of 3D PEDOT which can increase the catalytic activity. Furthermore, the introduced graphite (Gr) buffer layer can improve the roughness of PEDOT and F-doped tin oxide substrate (FTO), However, in the [BMIM]BF4 ionic liquid, the overgrowth PEDOT on Gr will reduced the properties of the counter electrode (CE) compare to CE without Gr buffer layer. Further, by using the Gr/ PEDOTIL counter electrode, a 4.89% of photoelectric conversion efficiency(PCE, η) was obtained which was up to 82.3% of DSSC–Pt (η = 5.94%) at the same condition. Meanwhile, the electro-catalytic activity of FTO/PEDOTIL and FTO/Gr/PEDOTIL electrode are demonstrated by scanning electrochemical microscopy (SECM).
Keywordsdye-sensitized solar cells poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene) photoelectric conversion efficiency scanning electrochemical microscopy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Theerthagiri, J., Senthil, R.A., Arunachalam, P., Amarsingh Bhabu, K., Selvi, A., Madhavan, J., Murugan, K., and Arof, A.K., Electrochemical deposition of carbon materials incorporated nickel sulfide composite as counter electrode for dye-sensitized solar cells, Ionics, 2016, vol. 23, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- 4.An, H., An, G.H., and Ahn, H.J., Characterization of porous carbon nanofibers decorated with Pt catalysts for use as counter electrodes in dye-sensitized solar cells, J. Ceram. Process. Res., 2015, vol. 16, pp. 208–212.Google Scholar
- 8.Li, C.T., Lee, C.T., Li, S.R., Lee, C.P., Chiu, I.T., Vittal, R., Wu, N.L., Sun, S.S., and Ho, K.C., Composite films of carbon black nanoparticles and sulfonated-polythiophene as flexible counter electrodes for dye-sensitized solar cells, J. Power Sources, 2016, vol. 302, pp. 155–163.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ghani, S., Sharif, R., Shahzadi, S., Zafar, N., Anwar, A.W., Ashraf, A., Zaidi, A.A., Kamboh, A.H., and Bashir, S., Simple and inexpensive electrodeposited silver/polyaniline composite counter electrodes for dye-sensitized solar cells, J. Mater. Sci., 2015, vol. 50, pp. 1469–1477.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Liu, W., Fang, Y., Xu, P., Lin, Y., Yin, X., Tang, G., and He, M., Two-step electrochemical synthesis of polypyrrole/reduced graphene oxide composites as efficient Pt-free counter electrode for plastic dye-sensitized solar cells, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 2014, vol. 6, pp. 16249–16256.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Su, J., Lu, S., Wang, S.S., Zhang, X.H., Fu, Y.B., and He, T., Influence of pH values on the structure and performance of a polypyrrole counter electrode for dyesensitized solar cells, Acta Phys.-Chim. Sin., 2014, vol. 30, pp. 1487–1494.Google Scholar
- 20.Park, B.W., Pazoki, M., Aitola, K., Jeong, S., Johansson, E.M.J., Hagfeldt, A., and Boschloo, G., Understanding interfacial charge transfer between metallic PEDOT counter electrodes and a cobalt redox shuttle in dye-sensitized solar cells. ACS Appl, Mater. Interfaces, 2014, vol. 6, pp. 2074–2079.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Hong, C.K., Ko, H.S., Han, E.M., and Park, K.H., Electrochemical properties of electrodeposited PEDOT counter electrode for dye-sensitized solar cells, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 2015, vol. 10, pp. 5521–5529.Google Scholar
- 23.Lee, C.P., Lin, C.A., Wei, T.C., Tsai, M.L., Meng, Y., Li, C.T., Ho, K.C., Wu, C.I., Lau, S.P., and He, J.H., Economical low-light photovoltaics by using the Pt free dye-sensitized solar cell with graphene dot/PEDOT:PSS counter electrodes, Nano Energy, 2015, vol. 18, pp. 109–117.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Belekoukia, M., Ramasamy, M.S., Yang, S., Feng, X., Paterakis, G., Dracopoulos, V., Galiotis, C., and Lianos, P., Electrochemically exfoliated grapheme/PEDOT composite films as efficient Pt-free counter electrode for dye-sensitized solar cells, Electrochim. Acta, 2016, vol. 194, pp. 110–115.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Trevisan, R., Döbbelin, M., Boix, P.P., Barea, E.M., Tena-Zaera, R., Mora-Seró, I., and Bisquert, J., PEDOT nanotube arrays as high performing counter electrodes for dye sensitized solar cells. Study of the interactions among electrolytes and counter electrodes, Adv. Energy Mater., 2011, vol. 1, pp. 781–784.CrossRefGoogle Scholar