Phylogeography of pacific herring Clupea pallasii from Eurasian seas
- First Online:
- 82 Downloads
Eleven samples of Pacific herring from the four seas of Eurasia (Sea of Japan, Sea of Okhotsk, Bering Sea, and White Sea), and one sample of Atlantic herring were analyzed. Complete and partial sequences of the mtDNA control region with the sizes up to 1071 bp were used. To verify the haplogroups identified, additional sequencing of the cytochrome oxidase I gene was performed. It was demonstrated that Pacific herring from the seas of Eurasia belonged to one mitochondrial haplogroup. The gene flow between the localities from different parts of the Far Eastern sea basins was about 11% per locality, per generation, which led to constant leveling of herring intraspecific differentiation. The data presented gave no reasons for subdivision of the herring populations in accordance to ecological characters (lacustrine and marine). Analysis of global molecular variance (global AMOVA) demonstrated that in Asian water basins, more than 98% of molecular polymorphism was found within the samples at the low level of significance (P < 0.05).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Naumenko, N.I., Biologiya i promysel morskikh sel’dei Dal’nego Vostoka (Biology and Fishery of Far Eastern Herring), Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskii: Kamchatskii pechatnyi dvor, 2001.Google Scholar
- 2.Gorbachev, V.V., Solovenchuk, L.L., and Chernoivanova, L.A., Intraspecies Structure of the Pacific Herring Clupea pallasii Valenciennes, 1847 (Clupeidae: Clupeiformes) in the Sea of Japan and the Southern Sea of Okhotsk, Inferred from the Variability of Mitochondrial DNA Control Region, Russsian Journal of Marine Biology, 2011, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 489–493.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kalchugin, P.V. and Vdovin, A.N., Some Aspects of Intraspecies Differentiation of Pacific Herring (Clupea pallasii) in Primorye Waters, Izv. TINRO, 2000, vol. 127, pp. 166–170.Google Scholar
- 5.Rybnikova, I.G., Population Structure of Pacific Herring (Clupea pallasi) (Valenciennes) in the Sea of Japan and the Sea of Okhotsk, Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Moscow: Inst. Marine Biol., Far Eastern Branch, Russ. Acad. Sci., 1999.Google Scholar
- 6.Avise, J.C., Phylogeography: The History and Formation of Species, Cambridge: Harvard Univ. Press, 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.Avise, J.C., Molecular Markers, Natural History, and Evolution, Sunderland: Sinauer, 2004, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- 14.Druzhinin, A.D., Results of Herring Tagging in the Waters of Sakhalin in 1956–1960, Izv. TINRO, 1963, vol. 49, pp. 65–94.Google Scholar