Genetic variability of Siberian fir Abies sibirica Ledeb. inferred from AFLP markers
- 57 Downloads
Genetic variability of AFLP markers was studied in 20 populations of Siberian fir (Abies sibirica, Pinaceae) and in two populations of Far-Eastern species Manchurian fir A. nephrolepis and Sakhalin fir A. sachalinensis each. Four pairs of selective primers were used. In total, 168 samples from three fir species were genotyped for 117 polymorphic loci. According to the AMOVA results, the variability proportion characterizing the differences among three Abies species was several times higher (F CT = 0.53) than that acounting for population differences within the species (F SC = 0.125). Differentiation of the A. sibirica populations based on AFLP markers exceeded 14% (F ST = 0.141). Significant correlation between the genetic distances calculated from the AFLP data and the geographic distances between populations was found. The results of AFLP variability analysis supported and supplemented the conclusions inferred previously from allozyme and cpSSR data: several genetically similar geographic groups of Siberian fir were identified. These groups differ both in allele frequencies and in the levels of genetic variation.
KeywordsAFLP Marker Allozyme Locus AFLP Data Allozyme Data Allozyme Marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Semerikova, S.A., Population Taxonomic Structure of Fir Species of the North-East of Eurasia, Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Yekaterinburg: Inst. Plant Animal Ecol., 2008.Google Scholar
- 4.Ekart, A.K. and Larionova, A.Ya., Genetic Diversity and Structure of Siberian Fir (Abies sibirica Ledeb.) Plain and Mountain and Populations, Vestn. Severo-Vostochn. Nauchn. Tsentr. Dalne-Vostochn. Otdel. Ross. Akad. Nauk, 2006, no. 4, pp. 72–76.Google Scholar
- 6.Dinamika populyatsionnykh genofondov pri antropogennykh vozdeistviyakh (Dynamics of Population Gene Pools under Anthropogenic Impact), Altukhov, Yu.P., Ed., Moscow: Nauka, 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Xue, X., Wang, Y., Korpelainen, H., and Li, C., Assessment of AFLP-Based Genetic Variation in the Populations of Picea asperata, Silvae Genet., 2005, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 24–30.Google Scholar
- 12.Tang, S., Dai, W., Li, M., et al., Genetic Diversity of Relictual and Endangered Plant Abies ziyuanensis (Pinaceae) Revealed by AFLP and SSR Markers, Genetics, 2008, vol. 133, pp. 21–30.Google Scholar
- 15.Nei, M., Estimation of Average Heterozygosity and Genetic Distance from a Small Number of Individuals, Genetics, 1978, vol. 83, pp. 583–590.Google Scholar
- 17.Rohlf, E.J., NTSYS-Pc: Numerical Taxonomy and Multivariate Analysis System, New York: Exeter, 1998.Google Scholar
- 19.Semerikov, V.L., Population Structure and Molecular Systematics of Larix Mill. Species, Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, Yekaterinburg: Institute of Plant and Animal Ecology, 2007.Google Scholar
- 20.Altukhov, Yu.P., Geneticheskie protsessy v populyatsiyakh (Genetic Processes in Populations), Moscow: Akademkniga, 2003.Google Scholar